Engine tick at idle

Csgod0

Reaction score
My engine has a very minute chug at idle, and a possible valve click. Is there a chance that I need to adjust the valve lash, or is it that my valve guides are worn and I need to redo my heads? being a 4.10 w/o OD, it sits up pretty good in the revs.

Last edited:

Csgod0

Reaction score
bump, should I worry about longevity? engine only has 95K on the odo, doubt its rolled over because the original title only has 11k on it, and dude used it to tow horses, in warm weather.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
We have hydraulic roller lifters so there is no need to adjust valve lash. You just torque the rockers down slowly to I think something like 15-20ft lbs.

What year truck is this, can you give us the specs? The 6.9's didnt have the best rocker design, a lot of people switch over to the 7.3 rockers, could be your problem?

rckslash2010

Reaction score
What's that injector tick sound like?
I ran mine out of fuel once going down the highway. I switched tanks and it was taking longer then normal to get the system primed back, so I shifted it into 4th gear. The rmp's jumped up to 2500 with a dry i.p. and finally she got fuel and took off again. Ever since then I hear a little ticking coming from up front somewhere when I'm pushing her a little more then normal.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Injector tick sounds almost the same as a valve tick. I couldnt tell you the difference.

Mine has a tick when I'm over 3/4 throttle till I get to about 2000rpm's. Dont know what it is, I'm thinking exhaust....

Csgod0

Reaction score
if injector tick sounds just like valve tick, then thats a possibility for later. I only bring up the valve issues because it seems to have a very slight chug at idle, and i hear a small click as the engine goes around. I have a 1988 7.3 IDI 94k on the odo. I didn't know I had hydraulic lifters.

I though I had injector tick eariler in the winter when it was cold, I heard a clacking, and though it was my injectors, but I could never be sure. I need to get the whole thing examined and pop-tested. What are my options as far as service/repair?

In the event my valve guides are worn, how much does it cost to repair my heads if thats also causing the chug problem? I'm just worried because I'm going to be getting ready to help a buddy tow a 12,000 lb boat trailer to lake cumberland starting in april.

I'm also PM'ing Type4 from thedieselstop about picking up some new BB code injectors

Last edited:

Csgod0

Reaction score
with it being warmer ( 40-60°F) here in cincinnati, I poured some ATF in with my fuel, and stayed away from keeldiesel for a fillup. The tick nearly went away. its at least 1 dirty/worn injector. case closed. I'm buying new ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online