Engine Temperature gauge?

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I want to install a coolant temperature gauge to verify my coolant is running hot. I know where the sensor is but I am not sure if I need to replace it or if it can be used with an aftermarket gauge.

What do I need to replace on my system and what recommendations do you guys have?

Do I need to replace the sensor in the block? Is it a universal part or specific to the IDI?

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Thad

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on where you mount the gauge inside, any coolant temp gauge from a auto supply store is good enough. There is a plugged hole on the rear of the drivers side head to install the sensor. That way you have the OEM gauge and the added one.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Ok but what is going to be the difference in temps between the two points? I just want to be as accurate as possible when doing this!

I would assume that is wouldnt matter. I would think the coolant would be hotter in the rear of the block since its next to the rear cylinders which tend to be hotter?

Any suggestions on whether to use the original position or the rear of the block would be great!

Thanks
Thad

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I installed mine forward on the driver side where the engine light sensor is (the one that goes ON when Your temp is way beyond the point of return), that is about the hottest spot on the engine.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
When I put mine in I took the stock sender out and installed the one that fit that came with the gauge which had several plugs. Where the stock location is supposed to be the hottest point of the coolent.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Well, the sensor I got was too long and before I noticed it I had broken the brass fitting.

Can I cut the sensor end down so it will fit? Or will that render the sensor inoperable?

Its a Sunpro gauge that I paid $16 for so if I have to get another I wont be pissed.

I am putting it in the rear of the block drivers side.

Thad

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
I probably have that same sunpro gauge. I put mine in the stock location and had no problems. The passage where you are putting yours must be smaller. I dont know about cutting it. I guess you could try and then test it in some hot water against a thermometer.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Well, I ended up putting it in the Engine Temp Light spot. I have never even seen the light come on even with the temps in the "L" range of NORMAL.

I just ran it on the highway at 70 mph (A/C on) and got all the way up to the "A" in Normal and that corresponded with 220F on the gauge. Between the R and M was right at 200F. It ran most of the way right in the middle of the M which was about 210F -215F.

I will add this to the thread punkmechanic started to give more info.

Thad

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Is 70MPH, unloaded, on flat terrain with the A/C on beating on it? I would think that would be the norm or less.

Thad

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
HA. that explains it then.. well ok then not beating it.. it is a bit on the highside a tad.. is that at normal operating temperature? 220F... thats just over boiling, i dunno if thats much to worry about

Exekiel69

Reaction score
220f with no load on a flat is high to Me, but then again You put it on the hottest spot so You do see higher temps than others. Mine used to ride at 200f on winter with or with out load and 220f and up some times during the summer with same conditions it always seemed to run a little high to Me.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
mine is right in the front of the head and i am usually always in the 190-200 range. some times i get above up to 210 on some longer steep hills with it floored. usually it is always running around 190.

heck i only saw maybe 230 pulling hard up a hill with a u-haul loaded with a john deer backhoe on it.

that was before ac though so that might be some of the differance.