Engine swap, flywheel question

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in the mindle of swaping the 6.9 out of my 87 and putting in a 94 idit, the 87 has the c6 and the 6.9 has the "real" flywheel" on it, can that be bolted to the turbo version or is that going to throw off the balance?(I know the 7.3 turbo has a different balance to the regular 7.3 or 6.9) I have the flexplate and adapter for a e4od if that is what I have to use instead.

I tried using the search, but all it did was give me info for 6.9 to non turbo 7.3 ;Poke Any help is appreciated, off to bed for me now.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
oooohhhhh. good question. i know you can take both to a machine shop and have them match balance them to match

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I decieded to go with the flexplate for the E4OD, bad choice, it shakes fairly bad and it feels like you can feel every power pulse from the engine :confused:

Not sure if I'll have any better luck trying to put in the flywheel for the C6 or if I'll have the same or more problems :dunno

Anyone have any ideas?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the wheel that came off the 7.3 turbo is wht went on the turbo engine then I think you may have not installed it correctly to the crank. What wheel came off the 6.9..

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Convertor is a big part of the balance. Without it, you are not in balance.
I don't know about that...

Torque converters are zeroed out and it is the offset of both the damper and flex plate that balances the rotating mass... That is presuming that the pistons and con rods are weighted within a half gram of each other... That is, con rod to con rod and piston to piston...

With all of the balancing I paid for my previous engines, not once did they ask for my torque converter... Just the flex plate and damper along with the crank, rods and pistons with rings...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Years ago when I was building my second engine I talked with the oem piston makers. Mahle. The head engineer named Eric at that time told me our engines COULD run being 14 grams differant in weight and still run fine for many years. Well I had to fly the BS flag hearing that. All my pistons are close. The differance between the high and the low id 1/4 to 1/3 gram. Wanna know how much that is.. Weigh a 1 dollar bill and see what that weighs. Its not much at all. When my engine runs you hear it but can't feel it.. Its kinda spooky driving something that sounds but does not feel like its running...

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IDI turbo Engine requires the Turbo harmonic balancer and flywheel that was specific to the turbo Engine. The Turbo engine harmonic balancer part# 1816624c1 I have a extra balancer if you need one. You will need the correct flywheel for a Turbo engine for your application.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Most any balancer can be balanced for a turbo or the flexplates can also be turbo balanced. I have seen the specific turbo wheels and balancers but any can be balanced to work. Just saying..

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's true If you have it apart and sitting in the balance jig. Sounds like he needs to get the right parts onto a running engine. This will require the right stock parts.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the wheel that came off the 7.3 turbo is wht went on the turbo engine then I think you may have not installed it correctly to the crank. What wheel came off the 6.9..
I don't have a flexplate for the 7.3t, the one I tried was off of a 91 7.3 with the E4OD. The 6.9 has the have 2 piece flywheel/flexplate "thing"

The Convertor is a big part of the balance. Without it, you are not in balance.
I'm wondering if the heavy flywheel for the 6.9 with c6 is to balance the c6 and not the engine :dunno, I've also only seem the weight thing on the trans cross member only on a c6 with a 6.9

The IDI turbo Engine requires the Turbo harmonic balancer and flywheel that was specific to the turbo Engine. The Turbo engine harmonic balancer part# 1816624c1 I have a extra balancer if you need one. You will need the correct flywheel for a Turbo engine for your application.
I have the balancer for the turbo engine, just don't have the flexplate for it, I do have a standard flywheel I got for the turbo engine, but the trans is 4x4 and this truck is only 2 wheel, hence why I was trying to use the 2 wheel drive c6

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IDI Turbo flex plate for the E4od has weight added to balance the engine. The trans and torque converter are Zero balanced already. any parts that are Not IDI Turbo will not work.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's kind of what I figured, so if I were able to get my hands on a flexplate for an E4OD that was on an IDIT, do you think it will work right with a c6 bolted to it? From my knowledge, the turbo version was never mated with the c6, so with that, I'm starting to think I won't be able to make this work.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the back space for the converter is correct and the bolts line up I think it will fit. I have not done this myself so I can't say for sure...All I do know for sure is you will have a big vibration if you use the wrong flex plate.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the back space for the converter is correct and the bolts line up I think it will fit. I have not done this myself so I can't say for sure...All I do know for sure is you will have a big vibration if you use the wrong flex plate.
^^^^^ This! ;Sweet