Engine siezed

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The manifolds are on it, if that is what you mean.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Agnem said:
The manifolds are on it, if that is what you mean.

Ya, as far as the water getting in, it could be as simple as a bad exhaust manifold gasket. Maybe someone tried to reuse the old ones, or they reused the valley pan, or both.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
or they reused the valley pan

I don't suppose I can rule that out. I should spray something around the intake runners when I get it running to see if it is sucking air in there anywhere. I wonder what would work good?

deezlwex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, Mel, no suggestions, but I can vouch that it ran before we pulled it.

This isn't fatal, I hope, right? :eek:

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Towcat is probabably right, but I have to way the pro's and cons. Here's the deal. I bought this truck and it ran, but I never took it out on the highway. I puttered around the neighborhood with it (crushed cab, no bed, no license plate, etc.) and got it up to operating temp. It sounded good, and everything looked real good. BUT, I still don't really know what I have here. The headgaskets were supposedly done shortly before I bought it, and I believe that. I can see that they have been done. I'd rather not sink a lot of money into this engine until I see what it reallly needs, so I'm inclined to try and soak it and get it to free up and just run it. If it ends up being a dud, I won't know if it was because of this, or because it was that way already. I'm thinking I'll find a glow plug air fitting adapter, and try presurizing each cylinder with some PB Blaster in there and see if I can get it to free up. The thing that is really bothering me though, is how it got this way. I know it turned over freely when I took the trans off of it, which was just prior to my washing it. The only thing I can figure is I somehow got water in the intake, but what troubles me most is that it may not have gone in through the opening which was all duct taped up. :puke:

Any water showing in the base if you pull the plug?
If you do get it running without a tear down, starting fluid, and even WD 40 works well to pin point small induction system leaks, rpm's jump up when fluid sucks inward.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott, It shouldn't be fatal, but one can't rule out the chances of the cylinders getting scored. This may or may not cause an earlier than planned rebuild some day. I dosed it up good with PB Blaster last night. I'll go down each evening and torque on it, and then spray in some more. If and when it finally budges, I'll double my tithe on the offering plate. :hail

Lorne, I will pull the drain tonight and see what comes out.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BRAIN seized

Mel walks into room with hands high over his head waving...

OK HOLD THE PHONE.... STOP THE PRESSES!.

Headlines read "Mel Agne is an idiot".

One thing I'm sure of as I get older, is that I can't be sure of anything. After dumping about 2 cans worth of PB blaster into this poor engine, I've decided I should have squirted them up my butt instead. It would appear that when I unbolted the transmission from the engine, it magically un-siezed. :***:

I checked the trans and the torque converter, and they are both good. Put them back together, and it's tight as a drum. Something is amiss in my new torque converter me thinks. -Lame

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Is the torque conveter going all the way into the trans? I know you have to spin the torque converter and it clicks a few times and goes into the trans.
John

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
Agnem said:

One thing I'm sure of as I get older, is that I can't be sure of anything. After dumping about 2 cans worth of PB blaster into this poor engine, I've decided I should have squirted them up my butt instead. It would appear that when I unbolted the transmission from the engine, it magically un-siezed. :***:

I checked the trans and the torque converter, and they are both good. Put them back together, and it's tight as a drum. Something is amiss in my new torque converter me thinks. -Lame

Having to say, that the image of a "PB Blaster" enema is just a bit too much :rotflmao - don't do it.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
Agnem said:

Good thing this didnt take place in a working shop. :D :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao ;Poke :D