Engine running weird

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today while I was driving on the freeway ~65mph the engine started running a little erratic as if it was being starved of fuel or something. After slowing down to 55mph or so the problem went away. The tank was between 1/2 and 1/4 when this happened so I topped it off, but that didn't change anything. The fuel filter and Racor filter are both relatively new, so I highly doubt the filters are clogged. The lift pump was replace about 1.5 years ago at a diesel shop. My guess would be that maybe the lift pump going bad, I don't have a pressure gauge to test it though(I would like some suggestions on a good fuel pressure gauge to buy).

I know that this problem may also be a symptom of a failing IP, but I certainly want to make sure it's not a fuel supply issue first. Since I still have to drive my truck home from work tonight, any ideas about what could be the problem or what to look for would be appreciated. I think it should make it home, if I keep it at 55 or so, and I do have a much more reliable source of transportation, so I'm not worried about getting it fixed right away. Mainly right now I just need some ideas of what to look for if something does go wrong.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No lol, I live in Southern California, I don't think it ever gets cold enough here for fuel to gell up. It's about 50F degrees out right now. That's a reasonable guess though considering the temperatures the rest of the US is experiencing right now.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Did you try using the other tank and see if the condition followed. Have you bought fuel at an odd station. Might be bad fuel with water too but checking the filter will tell you if thats an issue too. What lift pump was installed. Might want to remove the schrader valve core and run the enine and see how much fuel you get. I don't recall what the running engine puts out for flow. I think the usual test is on a cranking engine at a few seconds. I need to look for this info..

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried the other tank. 90% of the time I run it off the same tank since the rear one literally takes 1/2 hour to fill up. I always fill up at the same stations. It's been running okay on the existing fuel that was in the tank, today was the first time the condition started happening. I don't know off the top of my head what brand lift pump was installed. Are their certain brands that should be avoided?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a fram fuel filter on mine and it got plugged real fast. Like 1500 miles. I dont know if the fram was lacking in media paper or if i got dirty fuel, a new filter fixed it.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked the invoice from when I had the lift pump installed, and it looks like an Airtex was installed. I don't know if that means anything or not but I probably will start with making sure it's putting out the proper amount of fuel.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your truck have a fuel filter light. Last time my truck ran like that my fuel filter light was on. It could only two things one the filter or the fuel pump

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had bad luck with Fram fuel filters. Oil filters have been ok.

One thing I dealt with this past week was my fuel tank selector valve had been sticking and then shut itself down when I accidently moved the switch to the rear tank which doesn't work. The gauge hadn't worked in a long time so I was perplexed for a bit. Like I said, I am just mentioning this because I just dealt with this.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do have several new Motorcraft fuel filters that I bought, right now I have a Wix on for about 6 months. One other thing that occurred to me is that when I replaced the Racor filter about the same time, the ones I ordered looked like they have been sitting around for awhile. The Racor unit on my truck uses R24s, I'm not sure if they are still making those new, the only place I can find them is online and every time I have ordered them, they look like they are "old". I'm wondering if that might be a possibility as well.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So from the sounds of it your running 2 fuel filters. If so why is that..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its no the usual filter set up. Probably whats been done is someone installed a water filter type and a simple fuel filter. We now can buy a fuel filter that does both jobs. they filter out the water and dirt..

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its no the usual filter set up. Probably whats been done is someone installed a water filter type and a simple fuel filter. We now can buy a fuel filter that does both jobs. they filter out the water and dirt..

Interesting to know. Hopefully I will have time to start digging into the fuel system this weekend. I'll try to post pics if I get the chance so you guys can see what I'm talking about. It may be possible that the Racor setup may have something to do with restricting the fuel flow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726