eletric fule pump

Austin idi 7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i wanna put a holly blue pump on my 91 f-350 and put a filter.so my question is is there anything i need to do besides pluming the eletic pump in and wireing and sould the filter be befor the pump or after and is there anything els i need to do?? and whai is a good psi setting for the pump?? this is all new to me so please help:dunno

bud48fla

Reaction score
I installed a holley on mine, it was so loud I replaced it with a Mallory pump with a holley reg, set at 7psi. In the beginning I ran a racor filter setup mounted on the fender, in the engine compartment, it was to messy to work with there, so I changed it out to the frame mounted Fleetguards filters. You need a filter before and after the pump. You need to remove all the factory pump and filter set up. You can use a big block Chevrolet fuel pump block off plate to block off the hole where the pump was.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Mine is so noisy that I am thinking I will probably go back to the mechanical setup. I have the procomp equal to the red. Not worth the money. Not sure about the red, but if you are set on an electric pump, go Holley. I also am running a factory Ford inertia switch in case I have a problem with a runaway.

SWS

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
right now im working on installing a Carter P4070 on mine its set at 5 PSI and is a rotary vane style, it also comes with rubber dampers to keep noise down, but i am also goign to get some 1/4" rubber mat to sandwich between the bracket and frame

Austin idi 7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i have to loss my factory fule filter set to?? i thought i just had to take out the micanical pump block it off an plum an wire up the eletric pump..so do i have 2 change all my fule lines to???

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
No...I put mine under the drivers seat on the frame. Then ran the fuel lines up to the factory filter. Not sure what PSI it was but it runs/ran pretty good before I lost all my oil pressure.

SWS

Austin idi 7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok iam thinking of just keeping this all on the right hand side like factory just want that ez priming of the electroic pump and to beabel to keep the steady flow of fule..and i was just looking to add a fule filter on the frame and keep the factory filter to so when i put the pump in should the fram filter befor the pump right an the well leave the stock filter form the 1 after

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Is there some reason you have your heart set on a blue. If you don't already have one laying around, that is a bit much of a pump for these things. If you don't already have one and you just have to have a holley, a red would be more suitable.
That said, I'm quite adamantly against running speed shop pumps on daily drivers, if you don't havef anything cast in stone, you ought to look at the Facet Duralift pump. It is a commercial grade diesel lift pump ( factory lift pump on new Carrier Transicold and Thermoking ****** units, they are designed to run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week). It has a pre filter screen and water seperator bowl built into the thing for easy servicing

Carter makes some decent OE quality pumps as well

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
But how QUIET are they? That is one of two of my concerns. The other is that for some reason, it does not pump oil that well when the temp drops below 40*.

SWS

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't remember what brand mine is, but it's nothing special that's for sure.
I mounted mine on the frame under the drivers door with a frame mounted spin-on filter

Filter first, then electric pump (best thing I ever did) then it goes to a racor (2 micron) and then to the standard ford filter.

If you ever run out of fuel you'll run the batteries dead trying to get it re-started with a machanical pump............... with an elec, all I do is turn the key, pop the hood and bleed the schrader valve, shut the hood and drive away :)

just my 2 cents ;)

Austin idi 7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok but how come u guys put the pumps on the drivers side??? woudn't it be eazer to put evething on the right side of the truck???

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
ok but how come u guys put the pumps on the drivers side??? woudn't it be eazer to put evething on the right side of the truck???

Most E pumps have to be mounted below the fuel level on the frame and the factory lines run on the drivers side.
The Facet Duralift will lift fuel 10 feet straight up so mounting position is not an issue. I have mine under the hood behind the pass side battery where it is easy to get to to see the fuel bowl and clean it.

I can't hear my fuel pump after the engine starts, I can just barely hear it while the glow plugs are warming up.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
They go on the driver's side because the fuel line runs there from the factory and the tanks are there.

SWS