Electrical question - horn - Power Dist. Box

dieseldumb

Reaction score
1992 e350 idi N/A 161K

I am attempting to repair non-functioning horn. I cleaned the contacts at the steering wheel but did not see any "clock spring" set-up.

Following the cleaning, a "click" now occurs somewhere when horn switch is pressed ( but no horn sound). I removed the horn relay and the click disappeared. So, I did what any impatient mechanic would do and purchased a new relay. Of course that wasn't it.

Upon inspecting the Power Distribution Box, I noticed a burn mark on the "thing" that the each relay plugs into, except it was at the blower relay, which shares the "thing" ( :dunno ) with the horn relay. I figure this needs to be replaced except I don't even know what it's called or how to remove it.

Any thoughts about the horn or the relay plug in thing ( socket? ).

Thanks.

dieseldumb

Reaction score
Engine compartment - below master cylinder lines

thinking i'm going to have to trace horn wires into and out of the Power Dist Box
and test for voltage before and after the relay. a real pain because the wires are all bundled...

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ran a test-wire straight to the horn(s) to ascertain that it (they) will sound ??

I gave up on that mess years ago.

My set-up = always HOT wire to simple horn-button to horns; push button and horns blow; push button a second time and horns blow again.

No relays, no complications, and always works. ;Really

dieseldumb

Reaction score
midnight,

yep, that may be the way it will be fixed. really don't want to get into a "it works now, but I screwed up everything else" situation.

to complicate things, the cruise control switches are wired into the horn switch.
and of course, the box is below the master cylinder tubing making it nearly impossible to work on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online