Electrical mayhem

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
X2 on the bad ground... What got me to thinking was when you said that it wouldn't jump from your bosses truck, and the lights go to nothing when you turn the key. I seem to remember these particular symptoms... If it was me, I'd unhook both batteries and charge them while I checked the electrical integrity of all my cables and connections at both ends. When I put it back together I would use some electricians NOALOX anti-oxidation cream from the hardware store or H-D on everything that passes electricity from one surface to another.. Just before you make that final connection of the cable to the positive terminal, stick the pos probe of your volt meter on the pos post of the battery and the neg probe onto the positive terminal of the cable. It should show zero volts UNLESS you have a clock that's always on or a radio with a memory function that is always pulling a little power. If you have an ampmeter then measure between those same two places, for a clock and radio together the draw should be much less than one amp. Best of luck to you!;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X3 on the bad ground. The anti-lock brake circuit is extremely sensitive to grounding issues.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Update:
Got rained out luckily and spent the day working on the truck.

I started going through the wires again and found corrosion had almost eaten halfway through the positive cable going to the starter. Gonna see if I can grab some new cables.

Also, I took some baking soda and started going around the batteries...a TON of acid leaking out of the older one. I knew I should have replaced them at the same time, just didn't have the cash to do it at the time. Another lesson learned.

I'm surmising that the bad cable and failing battery finally took its toll. Better finding it now than in the winter eh? LOL

Now that I'm going to be pulling batteries and trays, I had another thought come to mind. What about converting to have both batteries mounted on the passenger side of the truck? I've seen it once before, looked like a decent setup. Thoughts before I get to throwing it all back together and get cables made for it?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Im not sure what you have to gain by moving the batteries to one side other than shortening the positive cable (but lengthening the ground). I made up my own cables using Napa auto parts materials. Wasnt too hard. I soldered them. I figure soldering will give a better connection than a crimping tool that I can afford

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Im not sure what you have to gain by moving the batteries to one side other than shortening the positive cable (but lengthening the ground). I made up my own cables using Napa auto parts materials. Wasnt too hard. I soldered them. I figure soldering will give a better connection than a crimping tool that I can afford

I've got a buddy that is going to make a set for me. He has the materials and whatnot anyway.

Well, shortening the positive and opening up the other fender for an aftermarket air filter in the future maybe? Just thinking out loud.

That or convert to a big ass single battery! :rotflmao

Something like....
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc2150series.htm

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are dinky little batteries. I have two of these http://www.interstatebatteries.com/...oduct+Type|101|1|&Title=Workaholic+-+1400+CCA mounted in one of the side boxes of my flatbed. It will almost turn the whole truck over when I go to start it. The cables are 0/3 to the starter and grounds. 0/2 is run up to the solenoid to power the rest of the truck. My old battery areas now are boxes to hold oil and rags in.