EGR Valve

TEXCRAWLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any of yall tell me the best way to pull out and clean my EGR Valve. I believe this is the reason my F250 04 6.0 is having a RPM fluxuation and stalling. The Ford dealer dosen't want to do anything for me but take my money. I've been through 2 turbos in 1 mounth and all the ford dealer dose about the check engine light is turn it off and tell me there is knowthing wrong with it.:mad:

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Take the 2 bolts out (note they are different lengths), twist the EGR so you can get to the bolt tabs and I used a couple of paint can openers to gently pry it up and out. It's a tight fit but it will come out.

When you clean it DO NOT get cleaner in the holes that go into the EGR and don't damage the O-rings, there is an o-ring replacement kit but I don't think many Ford dealers stock it.
If you have a shop vac use it to clean out the engine side housing, DO NOT spray cleaner in there.

Gently press the EGR back into place and replace the bolts into the correct holes.

Now...... find another dealer, sounds like the one you've been using doesn't know the 6.0 and doesn't want to know it.

Good luck.

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
Any of yall tell me the best way to pull out and clean my EGR Valve. I believe this is the reason my F250 04 6.0 is having a RPM fluxuation and stalling. The Ford dealer dosen't want to do anything for me but take my money. I've been through 2 turbos in 1 mounth and all the ford dealer dose about the check engine light is turn it off and tell me there is knowthing wrong with it.:mad:

Find a shop that uses BG products and have them do the EGR service on your 6.0l. It'll make the truck run like new. I use this system at work and it's awesome, IT WORKS. This site will tell you if there is a shop near you.
http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/index.php

TEXCRAWLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really don't like having people work on my rig. I now just about everything on my old 7.3 IDI. This is my 1st P-Stroke and working on knowing my engine because I'm very capable of working on my own rig. I'm just pissed off at the dealer for not fixin the problem when its still in warranty.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not a fan of the bg kit...

customers under a powertrain warrenty SHOULD NOT have to pay someone labor hours to clean out a port that should be cleaned with egr valve failures, that fail under the powertrain warrenty, plus on top of that i find that it is really not all that hard to clean out the ports without the use of chemicals, and without intake removal.

i have a spray can product offered by a maryland local company called auto solutions that is similar to a carb cleaner but foams up and works wonders when cleaning the ports out

most every ford dealer should stock, the EGR valve gasket kit if they dont they should be able to have it to you within the day, not trying to hate on you jharvey my man, i wouldnt want you to think that, it seems like lately everytime you chime in, ill chime in and say something to the contrary :(

but ford doesnt recomend to reusre the gaskets on the old egr valve after you have cleaned it...but i have done it often without failure

the way ill clean a valve is, ford has a carb cleaner can...part pm-3. ill take that can, when im done with it, or transfer the fluid to another container, and cut it down so the egr valve sits perfectly in the cut piece of the can. ill then fill the cut off piece of can up till its close to the egr valve "weep holes"

then soak her for a few hours, when your done, take something similar to a tooth brush (sears sells a set of 3 for like a dollar) and brush any remaing crap off the valve

while your leting the valve soak, its good to get into the intake and try and nock all the crap that has built up in your EGR ports, if they are clogged up, alot of times they arent, but use your better judgement, and a light to find out.

thats pretty much how it goes down, if you have any questions let me know

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
Ford must be a big fan of it because they contracted BG to make the kit for them.

Have you used the BG tool to clean up the EGR system?
As far as paying for the service most of the ones we do are because they are outta warranty now.

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
I really don't like having people work on my rig. I now just about everything on my old 7.3 IDI. This is my 1st P-Stroke and working on knowing my engine because I'm very capable of working on my own rig. I'm just pissed off at the dealer for not fixin the problem when its still in warranty.

I understand TEX, I was just trying to offer you an alternative...;Sweet
Hope you get it fixed..;Sweet

TEXCRAWLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand TEX, I was just trying to offer you an alternative...;Sweet
Hope you get it fixed..;Sweet

No offence taken and do thank ya for the offer I just really want to learn my truck. I'm pretty sure I got it fixed. My truck started to die and giving power surges go I got out and un pluged my EGR valve and it started running normal. I think sometimes a mechical shop will do things to your rig just so they will have something to work on, and put us out of money.:dunno

TEXCRAWLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up my new O ring kit today w/the Ford cleaner that they clean the EGR valve with. Gona make a good attempt to clean it and then if I have to I'll by a new one.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when you pull the valve make sure to check to make sure that soot has not entered the weep holes. this makes the valve potentially fouled.

luckily you have the luxury of attempting to clean it then driving it around for a few days to see if the the problem is fixed

TEXCRAWLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Tex, did you get your EGR cleaned up and did it help??

I haven't driven it lately but plan on doing the cleaning next weekend because my nag will be gone and I can work on things without being B**ched at. I've been driving my Samurai here latley out lookin for mud. I will let yall know. If it dosen't work w/the cleaning, is there anyone who makes a after market EGR thats better that a stocker from Ford?

TEXCRAWLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It did not work. Im gona by a new egr valve this week.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bossviking

Members online