early 99 engine in to 97 truck

David

Reaction score
bout to pick up an early 99 motor and have a 97 f350 7.3 wich needs an engine any tips on this swap will the 97 wiring plug in the 99 dose this motor have the better oil pump in it should i find a late 99 turbo set up befor installin it will the old computer work

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
the early 99 engine is exactly the same as your 97 engine. 99.5 is when they changed over to split shot injectors, different HPOP, wastegated turbo and whatever else they changed.

zpd307

Reaction score
the e99 still uses split shots... the turbo is different also. the hpop is still 15 degree. if you want to change to a 99.5 turbo, you will need the up pipes, collector, turbo, pedistal, intakes. the computer wont work with the e99 injectors.

Last edited:

David

Reaction score
thanks for the help So the E seres 7.3 is the same as the early 99 truck motor but has the newer split shot injectors and so will a 99.5 computer plug in the old wiring harness in the 97 or just do an injector swap

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you should be able to run the 99-up split shots.i ran 97 cali emission splits in my 95 with no problems,actually ran better than it does with the stage 2 single shots.as far as i know the 97 splits and 99-up splits are the same.

zpd307

Reaction score
van turbos are different than the e99 turbo. van turbos do not use a wastegate. i do believe 97 cali injectors are the same as e99s. i know that i can use a 99.5-01 computer in my e99. but couldnt tell you if you could use one on the obs trucks. i know i can not use single shots on my motor without custom tunes. i have not heard about vice versa.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
if it a early 99 the splits will work with the old cpu if you not intercooled you can use the e-99 turbo, and your y pipe as the trubo is just about the same long is it is a truck motor, its about the same as a 97 anyhow. as for the hpop, same 15% pump.
on big problem Is the e-99 may not support a mech lift pump. also if ya have to swap the fuel bowl, you may need to swap hpop lines.
but I would just put a factory sd fuel pump on.
you will also need to swap the acc bracets on the front of the motor as well as motor mounts

David

Reaction score
ok we got the motor last night its build date of 7/98 with 137k so he clames not sure if its a cail motor the right valve cover sickers gone its missing the turbo, up pipes, y pipe and manifolds i have a buddy with 02 motor goin try to get the turbo set up some one tryed to fix the dip stick leak cut a hole in the oil pan and welded it back up theres no hole for a lift pump but i got a sd pump around some were i want to put head studs and valve springs in be for in stalling it should i pull the heads or what he said it run good be for removed

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to do the studs you gotta pull the heads anyways.kind of a dumb idea to do 1 stud AT a time without new head gaskets

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online