E4OD Tansplant

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
E4OD? Isn't that the one with the POS 2 piece input shaft?

Another great reason to stay with a 3 pedal setup.

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
The E4OD conversion ain't that awful difficult, just time comsuming, did one myself, from a gear rower. I do like it much better and am real glad I didn't do the C-6 like I ad originally planned. Want any info, lemme know, be glad to help. Got plenty of wiring diagrams and such to aid you if need be.

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
turbo,
I might be interested in all of that info myself. I already have an E4OD resting here now. I thought it wouldn't be worth the effort to transplant it into my '86 w/ c-6! I have 3.54's and I get 17-18mpg. I'm still N/A but, would like to add a hair dryer sometime in the next year or two. What kind of mpg increase do ya think I'd get going to the E4od. My nephew has a '93 7.3 n/a w/E4OD and has had nothing but, head aches from that tranny! I'm kinda hesitant to swap! I really don't know about it!???? ATMOF, I have a complete '90 F250 7.3 N/A E4OD, 3.54's, loaded, don't remember miles, pretty tough shape. Front axle rebuilt and trans and TC rebuilt in the last year! Used as a farm truck. So I think I've got a few spare parts anyway - all for $400.00....
I'm a thinkin' I did alright!!!
Hoss....
:D :) :cool

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Originally posted by Hoss6.9
turbo,
What kind of mpg increase do ya think I'd get going to the E4OD.
I'm getting 18 mpg consistantly...and up to 20 mpg when I drive it like a school teacher (this is with a 4.10 read end). Many see 15 mpg and even less during the winter with diesel #1. Besides my HD aftermarket TC I have a Trans Go shift kit with the pump mod. Although many think not to kindly about the E4OD, mine has been great since the rebuild and upgrades.

Last edited:

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
Hey Hoss-

You did do alright there bud...

As far as the mpg increase, I have seen no increase. I still get about 15 in town, and 20-22 on the highway. I run about 2100 at 70 mph. If you need that stuff, I'll send you what I have. It may take me a bit to get it all together, butI'd be glad to do it. So far, I haven't had any probs, but I have yet to tow, and only put about 2000 miles on it so far. First small pull this weekend. I am going to get her breathin harder too, pretty soon, but I think I am gonna go the PSD retrofit kit we talked about on both TDS and FTE a while back.. I called and talked to the guy, and he seemed pretty knowledgable on the subject, not to mention he does turbo kits for a living for more than just IDI's. Before the turbo, she's gonna get a shift kit and transcommand.

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Hey turbo!,
It's up to you - if you want to send it you can and if not that's ok too! You could always send it thru the mail ifin' you'd like. Let me know what your a thinkin'!
Hoss....:) :cool

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by 95_stroker
Richard is right too, po' boying it will cost you more in the long run. Now if you want a serious tranny, get the Monster Box components or visit Brian over at BTS.

I have a BTS unit in my truck. 4 large after shipping cross country (core, then rebulit trans), trans price, and shop labor...

Very expensive option... but I'm hoping it'll be worth it. So far no complaints although I never did receive an itemized receipt from BTS saying what they did...

WickedRacing

Reaction score
wiring diagrams

The E4OD conversion ain't that awful difficult, just time comsuming, did one myself, from a gear rower. I do like it much better and am real glad I didn't do the C-6 like I ad originally planned. Want any info, lemme know, be glad to help. Got plenty of wiring diagrams and such to aid you if need be.

hello im new to the site but im doing a a 7.3 IDI C6 im wanting to put a E40D in iv got the trans out of a van E350 i think its like a 92 but i pulled all the wiring,drive shaft,computer,cables, and all the sensors im just looking for a wiring diagram to put it all togather to put in my 88 F350 would you have any wiring diagrams ?

thanks
Shannon

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody considered a two-speed rear axle??

I had an old F-600 with a 330 gasser, 5 speed and a split axle (Eaton??) Worked great and effectiively gave me a 10 speed trans. Though I only used it when loaded and then only 7 or 8 of the combinations... Is it a possibility to get or make a two-speed rear end to fit our trucks?? Sounds like it may solve some problems for highway cruising rpms/fuel economy. --Andy

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an old F-600 with a 330 gasser, 5 speed and a split axle (Eaton??) Worked great and effectiively gave me a 10 speed trans. Though I only used it when loaded and then only 7 or 8 of the combinations... Is it a possibility to get or make a two-speed rear end to fit our trucks?? Sounds like it may solve some problems for highway cruising rpms/fuel economy. --Andy

You can get a gear vendors or US Gear overdrive unit for the back of the transmission.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought a 2 speed rear would be cool, but in reality they only seem available in much heavier axles, and none for our trucks. The GV or US Gear option gives you the same function with probably better reliability. At least the 2 speed unit isn't being fed every bump in the road like an axle mounted one would.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online