E4OD Codes - Please translate to English

CRMW

Reaction score
I have 2 1992 diesel trucks, the transmissions are acting a bit flakey so I just read the codes.

The codes present are:

Truck 1 - F250
23, 26, 49, 59, 62, 29

Truck 2 - F350
62, 65, 74

Can anyone tell me what they mean?

Thanks

Chris

Headerpower

Reaction score
Go on E-bay and buy a CD service manual for 92 Ford- everything you never wanted to know!
E4OD codesTruck 1: 23- FIPL Throttle sensor out of range: 26- Temp not up to normal before running diagnostics or temp sensor failure: 49- 1-2 shift failure: 53- 2-3 shift failure: 62-torque converter clutch failure: 29- loss of speed sensing. Speedometer and tach need to be working flawlessly, check for corroded connectors broken wires, if OK change Vehicle speed sensor, Have the FIPL checked (check out artical under IDI Tech articals)-most likely the biggest part of the problem, fix may cure the other faults.

Codes 2 truck: 62- torque converter clutch: 65- overdrive cancel switch fault: 74- brake on/off switch failure. All sound like wiring problems- corroded connectors or broken wires! Good Luck

CRMW

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Kevin, at least I have a direction to go now with your mention of wiring issues. I was a little panicked when I thought I was looking at 2 rebuilds for more than the trucks are worth.

The F250's tach & speedo apear to be working and the indicator needles are not bouncing. The torque converter apears to be locking up, particularly in reverse, it will stall the motor. The o/d light is not flashing. I have checked the FIPL and it apeared to be ok but I'll change it first, and if that doesn't help I'll change the VSS.

The F350 is a cab and chassy that is new to me & the o/d light is flashing and it will not go into o/d. I'll start cleaning connectors & inspecting the wiring.

Thanks again
Chris

TomA

Reaction score
E4OD Codes

I think what those transmissions are trying to tell you is: "I am a piece of crap and I am going to go out and leave you stranded and poor"

That is what happened to my 92 F 250. When I first bought it the transmission went out and cost $2500 to rebuild. 140,000mi later it went out again. It is still sitting there. I thought about trying to convert it to a 5 speed but decided it was too much trouble. I just bought a 86 F250 4x4 with the 6.9 and a 4 speed for less than the cost of rebuilding it again....no more automatics.

CRMW

Reaction score
adrianspeeder
I pushed the button during the test & the code rerader is made by Innova.

Mr_Roboto
Can the front pump be replaced without disassemblying the transmission.

TomA
If I figured I would get 140,000 miles out of a $2,500 rebuild, they both would be at the shop as we speak.

Headerpower
I managed to get rid of the code 23 by letting the truck warm up a little longer.

I tested the FIPL's and both were bad, I replaced the one in the F250 but did not have time to test it, I'll have to pick up another one for the one ton tomorrow.

Thanks for the info and keep it comming.

Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert