E40D Question

89 Stroker

Reaction score
allright im getting bigger lines for my E40D and have fitting thats will fit into the transmission and allow me to run bigger lines , such as this one , any problems with such a big oil being ran on these? dont know the size , its running to the stock cooler for now untill i buy a bigger one , the actual hose will be a little bigger then the blue one

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any particular reason for using a larger I.D hose? I used 3/8" hydraulic hose when I did mine ;Really You're not going to gain anything with a larger I.D hose because of the port size on the transmission.

89 Stroker

Reaction score
Any particular reason for using a larger I.D hose? I used 3/8" hydraulic hose when I did mine ;Really You're not going to gain anything with a larger I.D hose because of the port size on the transmission.

i have alot of it around the house...dont want to buy hose if i can make this work

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you going thru the radiator cooler and then thru the aux. cooler? Liquid to liquid is 5 times more efficient than liquid to air. Is the tranny running hot?

Put your truck in your signature. There were a couple of years that had no radiator cooler lines. SWAG don't get things fixed.

89 Stroker

Reaction score
Are you going thru the radiator cooler and then thru the aux. cooler? Liquid to liquid is 5 times more efficient than liquid to air. Is the tranny running hot?

Put your truck in your signature. There were a couple of years that had no radiator cooler lines. SWAG don't get things fixed.

mine has the radiator cooler on it also

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is what i wanted to know....just read that if you have too big of lines or something it takes to much oil out of the tranny or something and can mess things up

Ya just add ATF as needed, which would be less than a quart, after changing the lines. That part of the system stays full once it's filled.

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
After I had mine rebuilt, I flushed the rad cooler. It was packed so full I never did get it cleared out. I have ran dual 28,000lbs cooler. I have plowed snow and did a lot of abusive things to that poor trans since rebiuild and I have yet to see the temps get over 150. The trans does fine even in winter without the rad cooler being used.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I thought you want it to be just the right temp.
Not too hot, nor too cool.

Somewhere around 186°F rings a bell...

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
I thought that also. In my case the only problem I have is the TC will lock up in reverse and cause it to stall when cold. Other than that I have 3 years and bout 40,000 miles of solid upgraded trans. I forgot to mention I took a 99 2 wheel drive and used it to upgrade the aluminum parts to steel.

Last edited:

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your TC should never lock up under 35... So if it's doing it in reverse something is very odd. The TC is temperature controlled and shouldn't lock up under a certain temperature anyway.

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
It is due to the shift kit, I had the trans check over a few times. It is not always a solid lockup just enough to cause it to stall every now and then. I kinda wonder if the solenoid pack is a culprit.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TC can lock up at 27 MPH when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, the tranny cannot go into OD below 35 MPH. When cold, it won't shift into OD until fluid temp is around 70*.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online