E-Fan/OE FAN Delete/CONVERSION/w. Serpentine Belt/3G Alt-94-E350-VAN

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what my fan setup would look like

You must be registered for see images attach

Hate to say it, but those cheaper E fans won't cool one of these engine when pulling a heavy load. I bought 2 16 inch efans like these

https://www.haydenauto.com/upload/HaydenAuto/Documents/Cat_Imperial/2007-imperial-electric-fans.pdf

mounted them diagonally on a champion radiator, and they would not cool the engine. The original belt driven clutch fan does keep it cool since I locked the clutch to turn all the time.

Also do not make the mistake I did and forget to add a diode and a wire from the A/C clutch with a relay. At least one of the fans MUST run when the A/C compressor is running.

With those two 16 inch fans, the headlights on, the A/C on and the blower on high, it took ALL the power my 1G had to supply the loads. And those fans would not move enough air. Like you said, a 3G is pretty much mandatory, especially if you get good fans that move enough air. I think the cfm capability of the stock fan turning at 2500+ rpm should be measured or calculated(maybe it has somewhere) and then you can buy some electric fans with some knowledge of the cfm requirements of the engine, and the cfm capabilities of the fans you are buying.

8gitmusik1

1994_E350_7.3_IDI_N/A_E4OD
Reaction score
Franklin2,

Great feedback and advice.

Its amazing, Franklin2, to have community like Oilburners and other forums, that have your back, so we, dont have to re-learn mistakes, others have already made.

Your experience will help others, as well as myself.

Thanks for posting your experience and hard won knowledge!

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but those cheaper E fans won't cool one of these engine when pulling a heavy load. I bought 2 16 inch efans like these

https://www.haydenauto.com/upload/HaydenAuto/Documents/Cat_Imperial/2007-imperial-electric-fans.pdf

Also do not make the mistake I did and forget to add a diode and a wire from the A/C clutch with a relay. At least one of the fans MUST run when the A/C compressor is running.

Do you think 4 fans would be enough with a water evap system? Why do you need a diode? i would just use a relay.
I have a 240a alternator. its pretty good. even at idle.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Why do you need a diode?
When the fan is off while driving down the highway, the wind makes it spin. It then acts like a generator and will back feed power through the system. I learned this from hooking an electric fan to a 1975 F150 that I used to have. I used a lighted toggle switch to power the fan so I would know when the fan was on (smart for a stupid 21 year old kid huh?) I didn't realize that it would back feed power until the first time that I drove the truck at night after the electric fan install. When I noticed the light, I thought something was on fire until I looked closer and realized that it was mu switch glowing. The faster I went, the brighter the light would glow.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh that makes sense! I dont think i would need a diode tho if i put in a relay. Complete mechanical disconnection from the circuit. My engine goes up to 240 during the summer if I go up some grades and stock fan with the shroud. It is going to be an experiment with the water evaporation cooling system. I just hate how much drag that big fan has. It cant be good for the belt and water pump bearings. If all goes well, you will find a perfectly fine fan with clutch on the listings.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct, if you have a dedicated relay just for the A/C trigger, then you would not need diode. I had a common relay with it being triggered by a thermostatic switch and the A/C system. Without the diode, the thermostatic switch would trigger the relay and also send power backwards up to the A/C compressor and turn it on when I had the A/C off.

Since I had the relay in there, I did not have the windmill problem.

I have never used a water evap system. And depending on how you use your truck, you may do fine with it. Mine was ok until I put a trailer behind it on a hot day. With a hard pull on it the temps would climb right up. I would have to pull over and let it idle, and the temps would come right down, then go again. Level ground wasn't too bad either, but pulling hills was where it really got hot.

Gr8ful

Reaction score
Thanks. The fans would hopefully only turn on during traffic. which I do a lot here in LA. The fan modules are way too expensive for my taste. something like a $12 thermostat would do just fine for me.
Here's the inside. WARNING loud beeps
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Hey Christian,
I hadn't looked profile in detail. Now i see you are in California, where all the cool MODs seem to come from, LOL. I also looked at your ambulance conversion profile pic. Hadn't before, but now that I've seen it WoW!, thats a sweet setup/ conversion you've started. Please when you have some time I'd love to see any other pics you have of your van.

On a different but similar topic , I was wondering if you might want to help me or participate with a new project I am working on.

A "VANS ONLY EXCLUSIVE" Forum. I didn't see one other than a van RV'er forum called VANDWELLERS on Tap-a-Talk so I created my own.

I've started it but will need advice from many others, like you, any help, posts and pics to help get others interested in participating would be great and I'd LOVE to see your conversion on the forum.

I would really value, and appreciate your feedback, even if you can't do anymore than that but if you could, that would also be great.

The forum on TAPATALK is called-

id: "ALLVANSGROUP"

I am the only registered member as i just created last night. It is a VANS only forum. A work in progress...

I have the same ambulance on a '93 super nice shape. Was the 2nd or spare for a small fire dept 88,000 miles rust free, no stickers, everything still in the back, going to make a small motorhome. I love this thing & was on;y $2k with all the new tires, batteries, new 250 amp alt, everything works. Very interested in your build. Thanks! Eric

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
The original belt driven clutch fan does keep it cool since I locked the clutch to turn all the time.

How do you lock the fan? & how do you ck a clutch fan to see if it cycles? Probably some link somewhere here, I haven't had time to searched.
My fan on my '94 IDIT engine never seems to cycle like it used to yrs ago. At least I never hear it cycle. Seems to work cooling etc, but I never hear any on off cycling like I used to.

8gitmusik1

1994_E350_7.3_IDI_N/A_E4OD
Reaction score
How do you lock the fan? & how do you ck a clutch fan to see if it cycles? Probably some link somewhere here, I haven't had time to searched.
My fan on my '94 IDIT engine never seems to cycle like it used to yrs ago. At least I never hear it cycle. Seems to work cooling etc, but I never hear any on off cycling like I used to.
I'd like to know how to lock the clutch also, as since my new finding on my 94 idi van, I just need to get it back on the road and will probably wait on the fan delete and e-fans since I have bigger fish to fry at this point.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's how I locked the fan. 4 pieces of angle iron. Some people drill and install a pin in the shaft, but you run the risk of the fan unscrewing off the pump if it doesn't have a little locktite on it. It will unscrew when the engine stops.

Locking the fan is not ideal, it's noisy and I know it has to hurt mileage some. But it solved my problem, and I haven't gotten around to any other solutions. A read too many complaints about the stock clutch waiting too long before it kicks in, even when it is working. I have overdrive in my truck, so the rpms are low enough cruising along to help with the excess drag. Get it up to 2500rpm though, and it's noisy.

Next time a big dump truck, delivery truck, or 18 wheeler goes by revving and changing gears, and what do you hear? Fan noise.

You must be registered for see images attach
fan lock brackets

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same ambulance on a '93 super nice shape. Was the 2nd or spare for a small fire dept 88,000 miles rust free, no stickers, everything still in the back, going to make a small motorhome. I love this thing & was on;y $2k with all the new tires, batteries, new 250 amp alt, everything works. Very interested in your build. Thanks! Eric

Where did you get your alternator? My ambulance came from swat lol.Thats why it's black.It was stripped of the sirens and lights tho. It had labels on the cabinets for "rifles, vests, etc". messy wiring all over the place