Dumb question re: flywheel diagnosis

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I think I may have noticed a little slipping from my dual mass flywheel. I haven't been able to get it to do it again, so I'm not sure it wasn't just a creaky old truck. This was a low engine speed, in first and second, on two take offs (wasn't hammering it hard at all). Here's my idea, but I'm not sure if I understand how the dual mass is exactly put together. I wouldn't even be worried about it except that I'm headed to CO with some horses in a little over a week.

I've got 200 miles drive to get home, when I get there I am probably going to load up everything, and anything else heavy (like a tank full of water) and then head up a big hill. See if I can get anything to fail. But, to know if there is any slipping going on, was thinking I could use an etcher to etch a line in two separate parts of my flywheel. If they don't line up after the test, I know I've got some slipping. If they do, then I'm just plain nuts and we already knew that. If I toast everything, Dad can come get the trailer and AAA can bring me home for the repair.

I do have pretty much everything I'm going to need already on the way (thanks RLDSL). If I was to tear into it I would do the lucky mod, in with a kevlar clutch with the springs in the center, redo the transmission adapter plate seal too. Probably replace the slave cylinder since I'm there, and its cheap, and its been creaking when I stomp the clutch. I've never done any of this, so I'm not real keen on doing it if I don't have to, especially before a long trip, time is also not something I've got a lot of. Need to be in CO ready to work May 20, preferably a day earlier.

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
I have had that happen once. It was after it had sat for about a month pointed uphill as I worked on something. I think what happened is something leaked down on it and got in it and caused it to slip. After about a week of light driving, it had disappeared and hasn't come back since. I would check for a similar situation, but beyond that, I don't know.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JMHO, but a slip probably won't be the flywheel. Unless it's in REALLY bad shape (so bad you'd have noticed something bad happen), it has some play between the two discs. Probably between 1/2 inch and 1 inch. You can try to wiggle the masses to check your play. I think 3/4 is acceptable, but more than that and replacement of the flywheel is recommended.

My guess is the flywheel, either wear or as Downey suggested, something on it. I had a fuel leak once that caused symptoms like you're experiencing...I let the clutch slip on purpose to "burn" off the fuel, it corrected it and didn't come back any more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online