dually tire size help

redvetracr

Reaction score
I searched and searched but couldn`t find my answer so here goes...I have a 94 F-350 dual wheel crew cab that tows a 48` goose neck car trailer on occasion, can I safely run a larger than 215-85x16 rear tire without a spacer between the duals? like maybe a 235-85x16? I am embarrassed to say the rear tires are original equipment Firestone as the truck only has 88Kmi...
thanks in advance!!

You must be registered for see images attach

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would be ok with 235x85's...my buddy runs his dually with on 245x75x16's on steelies with no spacers. Heck you could probably run 235 or 245x70x16's with no spacers. For example the first number is your aspect ratio or height. The second number is your section width. It all depends on what your hauling and what you use your truck for.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've ran 235x85x16 tires on my F 450 and F 250 .. no problems.. Have a friend who put a set of 245x70x16 on his F 350 and to me it seems not enough space. If he runs heavy and has a lot of tire flex I believe contact would be made.

Check the weight rating on the 235x85's.. I think they will carry everything the truck is rated for. I've had good service with them.

BTW, Great looking truck !

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
235/85R16 is the stock size on my '92 dually. I haul 3.5 tons of gravel on it with no problems.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the f350 cab n chassis 4wd trucks,and or likely even the cab n chassis 2wd trucks came with more offset in rims to handle the wider tires.
like the f350 cab n chassis,the f-super duty (pre f-450) came with 235/75/16's.
however the truck posted in the first thread is an f350 pickup truck.these only came as 2wd's and they came with rims meant to run dual 215's.
if you put 235's on there and push the limits of the truck loading up like i do,there's no doubt in my mind i'd have constant blow outs.
when dual tires touch inside while rolling,this creates heat.
the other issues with going to a 235's even if you add an hub centric spacer,is that now with the increased rolling resistance of the wider tires fuel economy goes down even further,as does traction.duallies already suffer from this,and the wider meats would just make it worse.
i would stick with the 215's or if you wanted to go shorter tires,you can run 225's issue free.

you can do whatever you want,just the next time to put a load on,look down between the tires.forget way down on the tread.look up a bit where the sidewalls bulge from the weight.as long as you don't put enough weight on the truck to make the tire sidewalls bulge and touch each other,plus a little to account for bumps,then you won't need different rims or spacers.if you see the sidewalls touch,remove the weight and order what you need to resolve the issue,or you'll be out new tires and possibly that expensive dually bed.-torn off fenders.

Last edited:

redvetracr

Reaction score
the f350 cab n chassis 4wd trucks,and or likely even the cab n chassis 2wd trucks came with more offset in rims to handle the wider tires.
like the f350 cab n chassis,the f-super duty (pre f-450) came with 235/75/16's.
however the truck posted in the first thread is an f350 pickup truck.these only came as 2wd's and they came with rims meant to run dual 215's.
if you put 235's on there and push the limits of the truck loading up like i do,there's no doubt in my mind i'd have constant blow outs.
when dual tires touch inside while rolling,this creates heat.
the other issues with going to a 235's even if you add an hub centric spacer,is that now with the increased rolling resistance of the wider tires fuel economy goes down even further,as does traction.duallies already suffer from this,and the wider meats would just make it worse.
i would stick with the 215's or if you wanted to go shorter tires,you can run 225's issue free.

you can do whatever you want,just the next time to put a load on,look down between the tires.forget way down on the tread.look up a bit where the sidewalls bulge from the weight.as long as you don't put enough weight on the truck to make the tire sidewalls bulge and touch each other,plus a little to account for bumps,then you won't need different rims or spacers.if you see the sidewalls touch,remove the weight and order what you need to resolve the issue,or you'll be out new tires and possibly that expensive dually bed.-torn off fenders.

I went through that on a C-30 (one ton) Chevy enclosed hauler with an Oleynik box years ago and I don`t want to go through it again which is why I`m asking in advance of buying rear tires..