Dual mass flywheel

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys im converting my truck to a 5speed and the doner truck had a decent looking dual mass clutch. How do i tell of the flywheel is in good shape? i have a SMF for it but if i can save some money by reusing the old clutch for now i will to get the truck back on the road i will change it out later when i get a new clutch kit for my SMF but i dont wanna put a junk flywheel in it ams destroy my transmission
Thanks any info is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Try to rate the 2 halves (clutch side and side with teeth). There should be lee than 5/8" of play between them. If any springs are loose or look damaged, use the SMF. Unless you are planning on being back in it to replace the clutch next year, I'd use the SMF now.

As for going the 3rd route, Autozone sells clutches for the SMF that are pretty decent. Have yanked my old, heavy, temperamental 5th wheel camper worth the Duralast SMF kit. When I replaced the clutch last month, the included flywheel was in great shape, so I fogged and bagged the new one. The kit with flywheel is like $315 or so, but a lot cheaper for just the clutch kit for the SMF.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Just bought my f350 in dec. had a rebuilt tranny i assume new clutch and stock dmfw. Got 5k miles and i could slip the clutch. I did turn up the hp, and it was leaking from every orfice on the engine i think. But theres a clutch i side the actual flywheel i believe. I think thats the one slippin on me, the main clutch looks newish. Dont know for sure which part was slippin but i went with a south bend stage 3 single mass clutch. Its expensive, but I dont wanna mess with it again.

Theres a 'lucky mod' i think to convert a dmfw to single mass. Might check it out.

Single mass has gear noise real bad under 1100 rpm. Scares some ppl too

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
The Lucky Mod does indeed convert the DMF to a SMF on the cheap, but still requires aSMF clutch kit.

The DMF has no internal clutch, it just has big springs in it that dampen each combustion pulse. If it's slipping, then the DMF probably has way too much play in it and the lash is sodding in clutch slip. Replace it before it comes apart and takes the bellhousing with it.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3/4 is 6/8ths of a inch which is more than the 5/8ths "allowed" I would go with the single mass you'all be much happier with the performance of it and they are more reliable I think. The single mass clutch and pressure plate is probably less than 200 for it since you have a flywheel already

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay that's what i needed to know thanks guys and one last question do any of you guys know the length for the rear driveshaft for a 4x4 5speed single cab long bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Lucky Mod does indeed convert the DMF to a SMF on the cheap, but still requires aSMF clutch kit.

The DMF has no internal clutch, it just has big springs in it that dampen each combustion pulse. If it's slipping, then the DMF probably has way too much play in it and the lash is sodding in clutch slip. Replace it before it comes apart and takes the bellhousing with it.

The factory DMF does have a internal clutch. Here are pictures of it.

You must be registered for see images attach

The smaller clutch packs are the internal clutch. The larger packs are the ones that work with the springs.

You can see the center hub that bolts to the flywheel is not directly connected to the large outer portion of the flywheel with the springs. The clutch is right in the center. I have heard they did this to keep warranty claims down on the zf.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

P.S. You do not need a SMF kit to do the lucky mod. If your pressure plate is good, all you need is a new clutch disc with the springs in it. That's all I used when I converted mine. I bolted the DMF together, installed the disc with the springs, and re-used the pressure plate. I have been using it now for about 8 years. It's pretty noisy at idle when it's cold, not too bad once it warms up. I bought the disc with the springs from Autozone, but I am not sure they sell it anymore. The original disc is just solid so its not a good idea to use it with the lucky mod. I want to say someone on here tried it and it eventually broke the center out of the disc.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
:hail
I was gonna fish it out and disect just to see how it works, thanks for the pics!

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took mine apart just too see also! I had many broken springs and pieces fall out of mine when I took it out it used to make a lot of noise then my clutch wouldn't let me drive 55 without slipping before I pulled it and got the luk single mass conversion, much better all around besides a little noise it makes because it's a single mass

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
The factory DMF does have a internal clutch. Here are pictures of it.

The smaller clutch packs are the internal clutch. The larger packs are the ones that work with the springs.

You can see the center hub that bolts to the flywheel is not directly connected to the large outer portion of the flywheel with the springs. The clutch is right in the center. I have heard they did this to keep warranty claims down on the zf.

I'm glad you posted that! Always good to know. I didn't realize it had clutch packs in the hub.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online