does anyone have a fuel pressure gauge mounted in dash board I DO

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you dont its a very good thing to have elimanates a lot of guess work knowing what the fuel press is ,ya know like when the truck stalls or dont want to start ,or maybe just not running full power,..........for example ..........look at the fuel pressure its down to 20 psi thats why my trucks running like **** ,,,,,,install some gauges trans temp ,,,fuel pres,,,trans pres,,,,,trans temp ,,,

gatorman21218

Reaction score
i got two although only one is hooked up. the other copper lines suffered fatigue from vibration so I replaced it with braided SS hydraulic line. I disconnected the other one to be on the safe side.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
And why is that? I kinda doubt the measly sub-100psi fuel pressure will expand either of those lines, so where is the problem w/ using them?
My guess would be the fuel temperature/pressure. The return fuel back into the fuel filter bowl will be whatever temperature, plus pressurized, and on top of that he's running it through the firewall to the dash mounted gauge.

Just my guess though.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess would be the fuel temperature/pressure. The return fuel back into the fuel filter bowl will be whatever temperature, plus pressurized
As opposed to the hotter and even more pressurized engine oil that a turbo feed line has to handle? The only issue I could see is the type of plastic used on turbo feed lines being non-compatible w/ diesel fuel, but so far it's not been an issue w/ my fummins FP gauge and that particular line is AFAIK quite ancient :dunno

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
As opposed to the hotter and even more pressurized engine oil that a turbo feed line has to handle? The only issue I could see is the type of plastic used on turbo feed lines being non-compatible w/ diesel fuel, but so far it's not been an issue w/ my fummins FP gauge and that particular line is AFAIK quite ancient :dunno

Good point. I guess I kinda skipped over the fact that they all use that same plastic line.

Personally, I've never had a problem with one. (Besides cracking the ferrule nut thing on one the other day)
But a lot of people seem to. But then again, common sense during routing of the line will go a long way.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point. I guess I kinda skipped over the fact that they all use that same plastic line.
Oh, I don't know if they all use the same line - just saying that my fummins uses a turbo oil feed SS-jacketed line to get fuel pressure signal to the gauge on the dash. And that it's been trouble-free for many years now, hence why I'd like to know what it is that the OP dislikes about that line when used in FP gauge application...

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plastic line can be used ,for both o/p and f/p fuel does not affect the line in my opinion however steel or copper line is will not melt if it is contacted on hot surface ,therefor in my opinion hardline steel/copper is the better meterial to use for the gauges .

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plastic line can be used ,for both o/p and f/p fuel does not affect the line in my opinion however steel or copper line is will not melt if it is contacted on hot surface ,therefor in my opinion hardline steel/copper is the better meterial to use for the gauges .

also if copper line was less money than plastic line that is what you would get with most gauges .

gatorman21218

Reaction score
You have to be careful with copper though. the vibration can cause fatigue cracks. My oil pressure line went out shortly after the rebuild. luckily i found it when I did cuz i lost lost about 2 qts in 30 seconds:eek::eek::eek:. SS braided is the only way to go imo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin