Disappiontment In The Mountains

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IAT (Intake Air Temp) has significant effect on power with NA diesels. The "Magic Number" is 90F. After that, you see power start to drop. I had this great chart that showed approximately by how much in ten degree increments. Can't find it now but IIRC it was about a 2 percent drop per every 10 degrees. I tested this with my old 6.2L GM on a dyno by artificially heating the intake air. With 155 degrtee air, power dropped from 94 at the rear wheels to 79, which was an average of 3-4 tests. Below is the a part of the chart from the 9-part buildup article I did for Four Wheeler back in the '90s. The formatting didn't hold perfectly but you can get the idea. Bear in mind, these dyno tests were done at 5,000 feet in Denver, so there was an automatic drop in power due to altitude but all the tests were done there. Since the 6.2L has the same basic injection system and combustion chamber type as the Ford IDI, take note of the effects of various things on power besides IAT. The percentages should roughly hold for the 6.9/7.3L. I remember spending about a week in the dyno lab to get these numbers and it was very cold out. To keep IAT below 90, I had to run with the shop doors open and about froze my ass.

Code:
[[SIZE=1][B]Dyno Test Results[/B]
[B]Mustang 5000 Chassis Dyno[/B]

[B]Condition                                              Power                             Torque*                              Intake Temp                                        % HP Increase[/B]

1-100% stock, as purchased                             94hp                              272 lbs-ft                            88 degrees                                          0
2-Advance pump timing 3 degrees                       102.5                             287 lbs-ft                            90.2 degrees                                     6.8
3-Advance pump timing 6 degrees                       100.4                             285 lbs-ft                           87.5 degrees                                                  4.7
4-Intake air temp increased                           87hp                             233 lbs-ft                            115 degrees                                                       -9
5-Intake air temp increased                           84hp                             218 lbs-ft                            134.6 degrees                                                    -12
6-Intake air temp increased                           79hp                            207 lbs-ft                            155 degrees                                                       -21
7-Rebuild injection pump and
 injectors                                           [B]106hp**[/B]                         297 lbs-ft                              5 degrees                                                       13
8-Add K&N air filter element                          108hp                           301 lbs-ft                             89 degrees                                                         2
9-Eliminate Air cleaner                                106 hp                       300 lbs-ft                              95.3 degrees                                                       0
10-Remove EGR valve                                  105hp                          301 lbs-ft                               91 degrees                                                         -1
11-Add Stanadyne Performance 
Formula to fuel                                     [B]114hp[/B]                            329 lbs-ft                              84 degrees                                                   
* Note that on a chassis dyno, gearing multiplies engine torque readings somewhat.
** New baseline for rest of tests.
[/SIZE]

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so dieseldoug.... have ya run some hills after this thread got ya some info?
interested in how you fared!
I'm now learning a new to me truck, so this is homework to see just where I need to hit stuff under the hood.
good luck/enjoy. cb

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
My truck had a lot of power the little bit I drove it before it tried to send me into a ditch :rotflmao

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically, an intercooler will lower boost if no other changes are made but "boost" in and of itself is not the goal, airflow and a power increase is. Sometimes, you can make MORE power with less boost just from the cooler, denser air charge. Boost is just a number! A part of a calculation! If the final answer is power and performance, you have to put many more things in the equation to get the RIGHT answer.

Above is why I think a wicked wheel would probably be a very good addition to a turbo'd IDI. A billet wheel should flow more air at a given psi. I think the turbo kits for these things are flow limited.
Travis..

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In post #76 note the largest increase in power and torque was with the addition of Stanadyne Performance Formula to the fuel.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In post #76 note the largest increase in power and torque was with the addition of Stanadyne Performance Formula to the fuel.

True, but one fact I failed to include in my post is that the #2 high-sulfur diesel fuel we were getting in Colorado at that time had a very low cetane rating. I worked with Stanadyne on that story and we tested the locally available diesel fuel, they had a cool little test kit, finding it was 36-38 cetane (Total stations did have a 50 cetane "premium" available then, which was an interesting discovery... some of the "premium" diesel fuel was no higher in cetane than the regular, we found). Stanadyne said the 6.2L was designed for 40-45 cetane (as were many IDI diesels of that era). The PF brought it up to nearly 50 cetane and that 6.2L obviously LIKED that. Stanadyne told me at the time that how much an engine gained was directly related to to how far off the optimal mark the untreated fuel was. Power gains leveled off around 48 cetane so overtreating was a waste of money. Also bear in mind ... that was then, this is now. The fuels are completely different. That testing was done BEFORE LSD even, let alone ULSD. So how much good PF will do today.. I cannot say. ULSD has a actually fairly high cetane rating but it's a completely different fuel thyan back then. I have not done any dyno testing on this lately but I have run PF with ULSD and I don't feel a difference. I'm not a big believer in the butt-dyno because it is too easily influenced, but in those old days, there was no doubting the massive gains, on the real dyno as well as the butt. When I headed home to Grand Junction after the last rounds of testing in Denver, I had a tank full of PF. I had previously measured my maximum speed on that first big grade on I-70 going west out of the valley. HOOO-YAHHH. It was like 10 mph faster with the PF. I more or less got the same boost using the Total 50 cetane stuff when I could get it. Since Stanadyne had given me cases of PF, I didn't need to and that PF lasted me nearly 10 years ( : < ). I used the last of it on our move to Ohio in '02.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ as my sig says....I try to run PF in every tank. I do think it makes a little difference. Haven't had a single problem yet this year with gelling either, which is a nice side benefit.

PapeCAT

Reaction score
What is the tried and true for getting a custom intercooler installed all while keeping your AC condenser? Hypermax Looks very IDI specific with the why it has asymmetrical inlet and outlet ports. I read that the 1991.5-1993 Dodge cummins intercooler will fit. Since I'm running cummins in my bricknose, all I need is 90 straight in 'n out inlet/outlet. If no one knows, I'll blaze the trail and let you know how the Dodge intercooler goes. There is a Bank$ used 1989-1991.0 style intercooler on ebay right now, but it will cost you almost 600 bones. Used.

maybe this will fit.

http://www.gohypermax.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=908bd70b-f9da-4efa-88b8-f3ea8050707b

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online