Differences between 86 and 87 F-250

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at picking up a supercab F-250 and was wondering if there were any major differences between 86 and 87 for chassis and frame that would make it hard to swap the body's over.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at picking up a supercab F-250 and was wondering if there were any major differences between 86 and 87 for chassis and frame that would make it hard to swap the body's over.
whichever body you use, the chassis electrical must follow as well as the fuel tanks since the senders are physically different as well as the resistance swing is reversed between the years. the bolt-up of the sheetmetal is no different, but the details are.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I'm planning on the 87 tanks, but I'll look at moving the senders over. Still trying to get ahold of the seller. Thinking that a supercab would be nice to have.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I'm planning on the 87 tanks, but I'll look at moving the senders over. Still trying to get ahold of the seller. Thinking that a supercab would be nice to have.
senders and tanks have a physically larger(87-91) or smaller(80-86) hole and sender depending on generation.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be swapping the tanks then too. It will give me a chance to fix the fuel pickups. Ran out of fuel 2 days ago right at the pump. The new electric lift pump hides some of the symptoms I would feel with the mechanical pump until it was almost too late. Pushed it the last 10 feet.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the dashes swap between 86 and 87? The 86 dash is kind of rough.

Here's the new rig. Thinking about shortening the bed.
You must be registered for see images attach

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the dashes swap between 86 and 87? The 86 dash is kind of rough.
it can be done, but it's not a walk in the park. the hvac is a little different. if your dashpad is fried, put one of those carpeted dashcovers on it and be done :D

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
senders and tanks have a physically larger(87-91) or smaller(80-86) hole and sender depending on generation.

It's my understanding the holes in the tanks got larger around 1985 or so, when the fuel injected 302 and the 460's with the in tank pumps came along. This makes room for the in tank pumps to fit through. And they went ahead and changed them all to large holes, even the carbed engined trucks.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it can be done, but it's not a walk in the park. the hvac is a little different. if your dashpad is fried, put one of those carpeted dashcovers on it and be done :D

It's a combo of bad gauges, bad pad, and a blown heater core (has a rusty wash from passenger dash out the door). But the 87 dash isn't perfect either. Thanks again for the help!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the stuff for an OBS dash swap, just sayin lol

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding the holes in the tanks got larger around 1985 or so, when the fuel injected 302 and the 460's with the in tank pumps came along. This makes room for the in tank pumps to fit through. And they went ahead and changed them all to large holes, even the carbed engined trucks.

Good to know. I'll just swap the senders over to the other tanks.