Dang freakin leaking valve cover gasket.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Ok guys, my right side valve cover gasket has started to leak. I tried re-torque-ing in sequence but the leak persists.:mad:

I thought I would fish for ideas that will keep these guys sealed for good. :cool

Different tq on the bolts?
Different gasket? (the one installed is rubber if I remember correctly)
Use gasket and permatex or RTV?
Blue lock tight on the bolts?

Any other ideas?

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Rob, are teh flanges straight? sometimes if you over torque the bolts the flanges get bent and they will never seal. I use black permatex (gasket sealer?) inth ebottle with the brush on the cap. I've had good results with it.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yes a small thin line of smurf poop coupled with the gaskets that Napa sells (has grommets to prevent over torque) will solve your problem. As Gary said check the valve cover for funky-ness. Then while reinstalling have a chicken and torch ready then after the fact run out in the front yard and dance around while holding chicken and torch above your head dancing/chanting. LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob, once they leak it's hard to stop cause the oil weeps through anyway. So the key is a squeeky clean head, and streight valve covers. I like to put RTV on the valve cover side only, and let it set up for a few minutes, and then put the valve cover on. Be sure to flip the little triangle things over, so that they bolt hole is higher than the sides, and use a torque wrench to get that wimpy 7 inch pounds or whatever it is. Overtightening is what makes most of them leak.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
OK, I think I have this:

Keep it clean
Keep it straight
Use some sealer
Flip triangles
Don’t over torque
Perform ceremonial seal the cover dance with raw chicken and flaming torch -Flame Thr :hail while chanting seeeeeaaaaaaal meeeeeeeeee seeeeeeaaaaaal meeeeeeee

Should I do this last part naked, or is it ok to be in boxers? LOL

Thanks for your continued support

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a gasket sealer called great stuff it is in a can. can looks like what that cheese in a can comes in. Let me tell you that stuff is the best thing i have ever seen, since i started using it nothing ever leaks :Thumbs Up

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Sounds interesting BJ. I haven't heard of it. Is it on the shelf at typical chain auto parts stores?

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Cool, that gives me a reason not to work on the truck today. LOL Now I can tell myself I need to get up to Autozone for the 'great stuff' first. LOL

Anyhow, thanks for the tip.

suv7734

Reaction score
Rob,

The last time I did my engine I was tired of leaking valve covers like you but I also don't like too much gasket goop either. As Mel said a thin coat on the valve cover side helps and flipping the triangles is also important. Check the flanges of the valve cover and flatten where needed. The 'great stuff' is good but if you put it on both sides be prepared to use a big pry bar to remove them in the future, man does that stuff stick. The thing that I found really did the trick was some shakeproof washers (star washers to some). I cleaned everything up and staightened all the flanges. I installed the gaskets dry (rubber gaskets) and installed the triangles with the shakeproof washers between them and the bolt head. The engine has about 40,000 miles since I torqued them on and no leaks at all. I have checked the torque a few times and nothing has loosened up at all. Just some thoughts.

Bruce

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Check the underside of the gasket.Is there any paint on there?Is the metal finish smooth and slick?If so rough it up a little.Gaskets don't like Slick shinny surfaces.They tend to get pushed out.Use some course sand paper and run it length wise to put a little grab on there.

Hangfire

Reaction score
Don't over torque those suckers or you'll be re-doing 'em... like me!:mad:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the tips guys. Looks like I'm gonna be marking territory at least until next weekend. Didn't get to it today. But I've got plenty to go on now.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Got it sealed yesterday. Now I'll just need to keep finding clean spots to park in at work to see if the leak stopped.

Thanks again for all the tips guys.

Oh, and the good news is the indecent exposure fine was only 65 bucks. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online

No members online now.