dang blasted radio noise/interference... and more IP timing?

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been slowly pecking away at all the little quirks with my 89 7.3.. She's never run better thus far..
I had the timing modestly bumped up by Diesel JD and runs much smoother despite the same mpg :confused: maybe another bump would help? i could really use a pulse timer to see where my exact timing is at

But one problem thats been a constant issue is radio noise/interference. I threw in a spare aftermarket cd/fm stereo I had laying around and works great If I plug in an ipod through the auxiliary jack, but if I use the FM radio the interference is terrible, causing the stereo to go quiet and go to 'mono' mode.

I've replaced the FM antenna cable including mast. I was told that older fords have a 'noise suppressor' that usually bolts to the alternator, however mine does not have one..
What can I do to eliminate the fuzzy/poor radio reception?
I've also redone alot of the grounds throughout the engine bay, ensuring a good contact is made with the chassis, but nothing has helped thus far.

I did notice theres a yellow wired bullet plug on the passenger side that comes from the 'electronic modulator' that is left unplugged.. I wonder if that has anything to do with my lack of radio clarity?

I know its not a major problem, but honestly everything in this truck works dam well except the cruise control (the clutch switch is jumped) I even have decent AC and Heat!

Last edited:

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Have you grounded the alternator case to the chassis? Is the interference RPM based? is it clearer when the truck is off as opposed to on?

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not grounded the alt case to the chassis, I was thinking about doing that exact thing yesterday.. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.
There really is no difference in quality with it on or off. BUT when the truck is dead cold and I start the radio, it works as if everything is fine.. it only seems to be an issue once everything is warmed up.. or maybe im just imagining that?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
You have the spark plugs without the resistors in them and solid core spark plug cables don't you?

Seriously though, is your chassis grounded to the frame/engine/battery? I know you said you had the engine grounded, but what about the rest of the stuff.

SWS

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, Ive replaced the negative battery cables, grounded the frame to the engine, engine to battery etc. Not sure what other grounds to for..

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the voltage regulator is that also whats called the electronic regulator? how could I test/replace the capacitor?
i feel like most of my questions could be answered if I had a factory service manual for this truck..

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the voltage regulator is that also whats called the electronic regulator? how could I test/replace the capacitor?
i feel like most of my questions could be answered if I had a factory service manual for this truck..

It's the regulator on the passenger fender, it's a square box with a connector coming out of it. Some people ditch them when they install a new regulator, and I am told that will create radio static.

This may help some, it is not my video though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjdaTypqj6o

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that video was extremely helpful and answered my question regarding the extra wire coming out of that voltage regulator.
Except, that alternator appears to have only 2 wires outputting while mine has 3 (2 small wires on that harness and the large one which goes to the starter solenoid)
Do auto stores sell replacement volt regulators for cheap?
If not where the heck can I find one of those suppressors to plug into my voltage regulator?

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, picked up a replacement voltage regulator for 20$ at the parts store and made a ground cable from the body of the alt to the chassis, lets hope this solves my static issues

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have static on my CD/radio that was not there on the stock radio...POS, now I want a new head unit.

Try another head unit, see if it does same thing...if so it's truck not the unit least you can rule out the unit that way.

Sounds like a bad solder joint in unit since you said works fine till warmed up.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have static on my CD/radio that was not there on the stock radio...POS, now I want a new head unit.

Try another head unit, see if it does same thing...if so it's truck not the unit least you can rule out the unit that way.

Sounds like a bad solder joint in unit since you said works fine till warmed up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online