dana 60 kingpin swap wont turn all the way left

aaronr19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just swapped a dana 60 kingpin into my 93 7.3 idi got it for $350 anyways it turns right perfectly fine but when turning left the wheels only go about quarter way it should cant even pull into driveway or make any turns without backing up and fixing it and steering wheel is turned upside down. what did i install wrong or what do i have to fix did complete swap in about a hour and a half mybe i missed somthing simple any help would be awsome

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you attempt to cycle the diff left and right prior to installing it so you would then KNOW it was ok? Could be a bad Ujoint, could be that the steering box was not centered as mentioned.

There a few variables, did you use the F350 springs and pitman arm and panhard rod?

Are you using lifted springs?

Did you check the diff out prior to installation.

Too many...far too many questions.

However most likely steering box is out a turn or two.

aaronr19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did not move gear box just hooked everyything up from the kingpin all of it was from a junk yard so its not perfect but way better then one i had.. yes i used the 350 springs did not use the pitman arm tho

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steering gear is most likely not centered. Not all drag links nor pitman arms going to be in the same position or exact same length when swapping a front end or steering components. Pop the drag link off, turn the wheel one direction or the other. Count revolutions to full lock in the opposite direction. Go back 1/2. If not straight ahead mark the sector shaft and reset the pitman arm or don't disturb the steering gear while re-centering the pitman arm. Adjust drag link to be able to re-connect and would fine tune with wheels off the ground to center them. Adjust steering wheel after wards. Can check and verify stops too but less likely some one messed with them.

Just used a junk yard box and lift on my truck, from 250 to my 350. 2.5ish turns one direction 1.5 ish the other. Can't mismatch with out adjustments.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to have read that you need to swap the pitman arm too to make all the geometries happy. Can someone else confirm that?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The F350 4x4 pitman arm is different, but it should still have equal steering angles both sides. The F350 pitman arm gives more steering angle in both directions. Thus you can make tighter turns. I ran my 89 for 10 years with the 2wd pitman arm. Works fine, but steering isn't very sharp.

I would make sure when your sitting with your wheels straight that the pitman arm faces straight ahead also. If the pitman arm doesn't face straight ahead then you need to adjust the draglink off the pitman until both the pitman arm and wheels are straight ahead. Don't adjust the link between both axles as it only controls toe.

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
I just did the exact same swap on my truck.

I put everything from the donor axle onto my pitman arm and also couldn't turn left, so I got an F350 pitman arm and gained quite a bit of my left turn radius back. Then when I tracked down some F350 leaves and got them on, it indexed the steering wheel nearly perfectly straight, and further helped the left turns.

Plus, the new springs have made the truck ride quite nice and saved my kidneys. Lol

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online