Damn Pep Boys rebuilt Crapola!

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed two front calipers and pads (free warranty)...sure enough the drivers side is dragging! -cuss

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duralast? Or is that the other place? LOL They all have their pet names for their boxes.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel, Duralast is the AutoZone brand, not Advance, however you will not see Duralast on any rebuilt components - steering boxes and racks in particular are Atsco, which in my experience have been much better in performance and consistent in quality than Cardone. Same with the master cylinders, AutoZone uses Fenco units remanufactured in Canada, whereas Cardones are remaned god knows where - guess which ones usually give me hell, not to mention Cardone aren't decent enough to even include a proper bleeding kit with their masters, just two silly plugs instead of fittings and clear plastic tubing... So yeah, speaking from personal experience all I can say is eff Cardone - not that the others don't have defective units, but Cardone seem to be very consistent in the fail department, lol

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha...on the side of the caliper box > rebuilt in Mexico! -cuss

And I thought Cardone's rebuilt items ie steering boxes etc were top notch.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
if you go to a major chain its pretty much all rebuilt by the LOWEST bidder

ne_plus_ultra_1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you go to a major chain its pretty much all rebuilt by the LOWEST bidder

Yep.

I've not looked upon Cardone as being a high quality remanufacturer.

My old boss even got a rebuilt HEI distributor from NAPA once that had electrical tape wrapped around part of the pickup and PRESTO it was new! Didn't last long. The NAPA guy said "well, I guess that one got by quality control".

The very unfortunate old saying of " if you want something done right your going to have to do it yourself" has an unfortunate amount of truth to it.

Interestingly, variations of that saying have been around since 1541 A.D..

Apparently poor quality products have plagued man for a while.

sootman73

Reaction score
Ha...on the side of the caliper box > rebuilt in Mexico! -cuss

And I thought Cardone's rebuilt items ie steering boxes etc were top notch.

unless you buy a performance aftermarket part or motorcraft its gonna be built in another country. its the sad truth.....

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I've always rebuilt my own with good results. There was a suggestion to make sure You bench bleed/flush them good. Someone said they got lots of machine shavings out of a rebuilt caliper.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always rebuilt my own with good results. There was a suggestion to make sure You bench bleed/flush them good. Someone said they got lots of machine shavings out of a rebuilt caliper.

I use to rebuild my own, and maybe the debris/shavings is what caused the last one to bind- up from day one.