Damn it I got the vibs.

Truckie

Reaction score
Well, not even a week old and I got my first problem. The dreaded drive line vibration. :mad: -cuss When I took the truck out for the test drive I had it up to 80 mph and no vibes I thought good no problem. Well, I come to find out it only gets the vibration once the truck is good and hot up to operating temps. The little test drive on the hi way did not reveal a problem. So when I go to the dealer tomorrow IM going to make sure the truck is good and hot, IM going to drive it for a while to get everything up to operating temps. I don't know what would cause this problem only when hot. Do any of you have a clue? :confused:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is when whatever it is that is causing the vibration gets hot it expands which allows the bearing, bushing or shim/crush sleeve to have just a tad bit of room. Which is a stretch - a real stretch to say the least.

Do you have any signs of seepage on anything - that might point ya in the right direction.

scrappy

Reaction score
the driveshaft is two piece right? the carrier bearing is also a common culprit for this

Truckie

Reaction score
Well, I just off the phone with the dealer and he asked me if I felt the vibrations through the steering wheel and I said no, he said good. I asked why he said it may be your tires. He said that none of them were at the right psi, and one right rear had 95 psi in it. So later on here in the evening I am going to go and pick it up to see how it is.
Epin I know what you mean about avoiding the dealer like the plague I try to do the same whenever possible.

Truckie

Reaction score
argve said:
The only thing I can think of is when whatever it is that is causing the vibration gets hot it expands which allows the bearing, bushing or shim/crush sleeve to have just a tad bit of room. Which is a stretch - a real stretch to say the least.

Do you have any signs of seepage on anything - that might point ya in the right direction.
No signs of seepage or anything like that, I checked for all that before I called the dealer.
Dang I was under the truck last night and cant remember if the drive shaft is a 2 piece or not. :confused: :sorry:

BigSix

Reaction score
Hate to hear that... I got rid of my '03 Cummins powered Ram for the dreaded driveline vibration. It was not motor. I could shut the motor off at 70 and coast down through the 68mph vibration speed and it was bad enough to rattle change in the ashtray. It was about the frequency of one of those vibrating lazy boy chairs. He asked if you felt it in the steering wheel probably because the normal 2100rpm engine buzz can be felt in the steering wheel. That will smooth out with 50k + miles on it. I still think I had a defect in my pinion or something in the rear end. They swapped the driveshaft from another truck and it didn't help. At 44k it was starting to sound like the rear end had 244k on it.
Yep, you have a two piece shaft under there...

Truckie

Reaction score
Up Date.

Well, last night I went to pick up the truck and I wound up leaving it. I took it out on the road and with in a 1/4 mile I felt the vibration. I thought ,:***: so I turned around and took it back. Talked to the dealer about it and they drove it today and came up with this. cookoo When I drive the truck I ride with the right rear window down, and the flow of air that is coming in is what's causing the problem. Lower another window and the vibration just about goes away. Put up the windows and no vibes or nothing. Now that I know what it is I should say that it is more like presser on your ear drums than any thing. Now check this out I :rtfm for something tonight and ran across a section where they decried this exact problem, they also decribe it as a helicopter sound I gees I should :rtfm.
I just put 30 miles on the truck and it seems OK. Hope it stays that way.:Q

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 01 used they had me bring it back the next day. They where going to change out the driveshafts. They asked me if I felt any vibration, but I didn't get to the freeway with it. So if its not the window :confused: being down then try that. ;Sweet good luck

FOXY005

Reaction score
If you have the split back window, just slide it open and 99% of the
"Helicopter" noise disapears.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or just turn the a/c on. common problems with these drivelines...i'm a tech at a dodge dealer... the front driveshaft vibes...turn it 180 and bolt it back on...this takes care of it usually although we have changed alot of these shafts for that problem, 2 the rear end carrier side bearing preload adjusters come loose and allow the carrier to shift side to side..usually by the time you hear it..the carrier and bearings are wasted,3 the pinion nuts back off,,allowing the pinion to fall into the ring gear too far(you get the idea here. 4 the 2 piece rear driveshaft is not centered perfectly, it has slotted bolt holes, we have moved them to the right side about 1/4-3/8 inch and driveline vibes are gone. this is the most common stuff i have come across on these things, and its more common than you think. just keep a close eye on diff fluid condition..that tells a story way before failure. hope this helps som other guys out with any driveline related question.