DAMMIT!!!....the week from hell!!

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not enough fuel. It's spinning over plenty fast enough.

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not enough fuel. It's spinning over plenty fast enough. geld maybe?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even with new batteries, sounds like they were not fully charged enough, about 100 RPM to slow.If you would of had a volt meter checking, bet the voltage was down to around 9 volts cranking, shouldn't be less than 10.8 cranking.

RedTruck

Reaction score
X2 on what Bill said about the low charge on the batteries. You should also check the fluid level in the batteries. New ones are always low, and it does make a difference when you top them off. Might be a good idea to put the charger on them overnight in your apartment. I've been down that road before several years ago.

Paul

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I took her for a drive this morning after I got her lit off. I parked it at about 620 am, and at about 1030 am I had to take a trip across the harbour. It flashed RIGHT up without a problem. Shows 14.5 volts on the volt gauge when running and never dropped below 11 volts when cranking this time.

Problem solved? We shall see.

On another note, I dragged a 9000 pound forklift out os a fozen 2 foot snowbank today. Everyone had their doubts, as well as I did, but I got cocky and daid no Hemi dodge could do it (the boss runs a hemi ram).

We hooked the chain to the hitch, I popped her in 4 low and took up the slack. The tires spun 1/2 a rotation and all of a sudden foreward motion! It had dragged the forklift, whish was not running, through 2 feet of frozen snow while my truck was sitting on snow and ice. Impressed we were!!!

sootman73

Reaction score
not enough fuel. It's spinning over plenty fast enough.

he's got howes additive in it so its not gelled. i compared the speed to my truck and mine spins over a lot faster than his was. cranking speed gets more and more important the lower the temperature is outside. i have a starter from DP electrical and it will crank for a long time if needed but its not because it spins twice as fast as his was. a new GR starter and he should be fine. you can hold a GR on longer because there isn't as much of a load on it and doesn't heat up as fast.

i remember when my truck was like this. about 7 degrees F and was spinning that fast. wouldn't start until i sprayed some wd40 into the intake. helped it spin over much faster and it fired up real quick.

i try wd40 when i'm having trouble starting in the cold. doesn't detonate like ether but gives the extra lube. might want to try that next time........

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'm not sure but I don't think his cold advance is working either. The previous owner made a real mess of the GP system so I gave Goofy another engine harness and GP controller from the 92 F350 4x4 we just scrapped. I haven't had a chance to help him with it yet - too many of my own projects on the go....LOL

sootman73

Reaction score
i dont really notice a difference starting cold whether my timing is advanced or not. i have it on a switch on my dash and sometimes i forget to turn it on until after its fired up. it knocks louder once all cylinders are going but thats about it.

i put it on a switch because i dont like driving it with the timing advanced that far. started killing my GPs.

sootman73

Reaction score
i dont really notice a difference starting cold whether my timing is advanced or not. i have it on a switch on my dash and sometimes i forget to turn it on until after its fired up. it knocks louder once all cylinders are going but thats about it.

i put it on a switch because i dont like driving it with the timing advanced that far. started killing my GPs.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So.....my next cold start I will start cranking her just the instant the light goes off-maybe even a touch sooner-and see how she starts then.

We are having a 'heat wave' now, it's up to 34F! No doubt it will drop again, after all I live in Illinois-[if ya don't like the weather, just wait a while and it will change!]

No doubt, -13 on sunday, 34 on wednesday. West central IL.....