crank case evac

tractorman86

Reaction score
so i am planning on doing a crankcase evac system like this on the back of the passanger side valve cover. now wouldn't it be a good idea to do a breather filter on the front of the driverside valve cover?:dunno i just didn't notice anything like that in the previous threads on the subject

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of valve cover breathers. Hypermax has you cut up yours when you put their turbo kit on, and all it did on my truck was make oil slobbery down onto my exhaust. The Banks adapter on the front of the IP gear housing is far superior in my opionion.

tractorman86

Reaction score
well i'm thinking if i do the evac system right it will pull the gasses out the pass. valve cover and pull cool fresh air into the driver valve cover accross the motor

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Honestly it look a little cheap, those clamps don't help either and I agree with Mel on that Hypermax hole in the valve cover I didn't do it and got Myself the banks IP gear cover extension.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Jacob, at an idle the exhaust wont pull enough draw to evac the crankcase with 4" exhaust. I think you'll be blowin vapors out the drives side breather.

Good concept tho.

The Banks adapter is cleanest way to go IMHO.

I made my RDT evac system from hardware store parts and already had the adapter with the turbo I got from Calvin, and it works purdy good.;Sweet

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not happy with my setup, I've had oil leaks ever since I installed it. I'm not sure if the evac system was causing it or if I have excessive blowby.

tractorman86

Reaction score
well i think i have quite a bit of blow by but not much for leaks. i was just looking at a setup like that cause they have the valves and tubes with the correct angle cut into them. it is cheep enough, i think i will do some playing around with it. and i think i have some extra valve covers so i dont mind hacking a couple

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about venting my RDT into the exhaust as well, and I had some ideas. With our system I am not sure you need a filter on the other valve cover, the CDR system does not use a filter anywhere to let in air, and I am not really sure there is any need to pull fresh air through the crankcase. I think it would be best just to pull a slight vacuum on the block at higher RPMS, and it would function as a vent at low RPMs with the blowby going out the exhaust, so it would not make oil spots below your truck. Maybe I am wrong but the stock setup does not allow fresh air through the block, and there is alread plentyof air coming out of my RDT, as well as any diesel I have ever seen. You probably wouldn't see much vacuum at idle but any little bit would help and also I would rather have the blowby mixed in with the exhaust so I don't have to always tell people that it is normall for a diesel to have a little bit of blowby at idle even when freshly overhauled.

Oh and it is very easy to take a flat piece of thin metal and make a new cover to go in place of the IP timing cover, drill a hole in it and then weld or epoxy a piece of regular piece of pipe from any hardware store to it to make a vent on the front of the block. I made one for mine by welding a 90 degree elbow pointing 45 degrees up to the right, screwed a nipple into that and then put my vent hose over that to run down the front of the engine. It is best to have at a small incline to keep as much oil in the engine as possible, building a baffle would be even better. You could also drill a hole in your factory cover but I hate to cut of factory items. Just make sure your hole is big enough to make sure it can breath good, the closer to an inch you can get, the better.

Last edited:

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
where can i get a banks stlye breather? i have the early 6.9L style filler neck on my i/p cover so i cant make a flat piece of metal there.

thanks
-Jon

tractorman86

Reaction score
I was thinking about venting my RDT into the exhaust as well, and I had some ideas. With our system I am not sure you need a filter on the other valve cover, the CDR system does not use a filter anywhere to let in air, and I am not really sure there is any need to pull fresh air through the crankcase. I think it would be best just to pull a slight vacuum on the block at higher RPMS, and it would function as a vent at low RPMs with the blowby going out the exhaust, so it would not make oil spots below your truck. Maybe I am wrong but the stock setup does not allow fresh air through the block, and there is alread plentyof air coming out of my RDT, as well as any diesel I have ever seen. You probably wouldn't see much vacuum at idle but any little bit would help and also I would rather have the blowby mixed in with the exhaust so I don't have to always tell people that it is normall for a diesel to have a little bit of blowby at idle even when freshly overhauled.

Oh and it is very easy to take a flat piece of thin metal and make a new cover to go in place of the IP timing cover, drill a hole in it and then weld or epoxy a piece of regular piece of pipe from any hardware store to it to make a vent on the front of the block. I made one for mine by welding a 90 degree elbow pointing 45 degrees up to the right, screwed a nipple into that and then put my vent hose over that to run down the front of the engine. It is best to have at a small incline to keep as much oil in the engine as possible, building a baffle would be even better. You could also drill a hole in your factory cover but I hate to cut of factory items. Just make sure your hole is 1/2" or bigger to make sure it can breath good enough.

yea maybe i will try it without the vent first i guess you are right. thanks
and jon:yea i'd think so if you have a torch/plasma, a drill, and a flat piece of metal

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where can i get a banks stlye breather? i have the early 6.9L style filler neck on my i/p cover so i cant make a flat piece of metal there.

thanks
-Jon

Try calling Banks, it's Part Number 94042 and it's #69 on their sidewinder parts diagram.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radeon1314

Members online