Couple issues after shakedown...

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Well thought I had gotten the truck mechaniclly sound (except finshing up fixing the AC) so took it up camping this weekend (~250miles round trip, +5-6k ft altitude from my house) and ran into a couple issues...

1) "Holy hot egts batman!" I was 99% unloaded (had some tools in the cab and maybe 10lbs of wood in the bed) but yet was having to downshift/let off going up the hills (between 2k-2.6k rpm 98% of the time) to keep the egts in check (was holding it right around 1020deg) but yet at the same time on the downhill section for anything but the long steep parts (5-7% grade for 7miles for example) Id have to keep on the gas to maintain speed but on the steep parts the tranny/engine would hold speed and the most I ever had to do was kick it down to 3rd for a mile or so.

2) Speedo would peg at 85mph if I went over an actual 65mph and stay there untill I slowed down to 55-60mph, also what the GPS shows as a 100% accurate speedo at 40mph is 5mph off around 65 (if it matters any)

3) Theres an exhaust leak on the right side of the engine (by the turbo) somewhere and while its not noticble (inside) around town when the EGTs went up on the hills you could definatly smell it inside the cab so any ideas on easiest way to find/fix it? Its before the exhaust comes out down by the tranny and nothing I can easily see from above/below.

Unrelated but is it bad that I get a chuckle out of others looks of disgust/greater then you/you suck as they drive by?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had something like that with my truck once, and I found that my rear brakes were sticking. I couldn't get the shoes adjusted down enough myself, so I ended up having the truck towed to a shop...they found that the brake shoe adjusters had gone completely dry and had seized up :shocked:

My symptoms were similar...I felt like my truck had lost a fair amount of power, and my EGT's were through the roof. Even still, I was able to maintain freeway speeds cookoo

Just something to look at...also, how's your timing?

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An exhaust leak would cause low boost which would cause low power and higher egts.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of our rally attendee's had discovered several of his exhaust manifold bolts were missing. That's a performance decreasing condition right there.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Alright so sounds like (hopefully) its the exhaust leak causing it (Ill check the brakes as well) any ideas on the easiest way to find it? Im thinking its down the right side of the engine in either the up pipe or downpipe but cant see either well enough to tell...

Was hoping to get emissions and my next paycheck before I tore the exhaust apart but...