Cost on replacing parking brake cable?

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't been on in a while. My truck is having a hard time though. In need of at least a new fuel system. In 14 degree weather we had to really crank and could only get it to start on ether but when started it took probably 45 seconds before i could change the idle at all. floored or not floored. idle was still way low. Anywho, i wanted to get the parking brake replaced. i have heard it is spendy, and was wondering what "spendy" meant. also, would some sort of a clamp of some kind work on my driveshaft? i could use the same pedal maybe and have something clamp the driveshaft like on the older cars. Idk, maybe its a really dumb idea. I dont need it to stop much, i dont haul anything really, just wanna leave it running at the gas station and such. thanks in advance!

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
E brake cables are about $30-$40 for Each cable from FORD

Depending which cable(s) are froze dictates the cost. You can replace Every cable for under $200

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They carry the cables at all the parts stores, it's a very common part that fails, so they are not very expensive either, and seem to work well. They are a little bit of aggravation to change though, you have to tear the brakes apart in the rear to get them in and out.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aftermarket is fine as long as they dont have the plastic coated innercable, it balls up like crazy and seizes the cable.

ford ones work fine especially if you clamp a fuel hose to the end and to a grease gun and slowly pump it full till it comes out the end.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
aftermarket is fine as long as they dont have the plastic coated innercable, it balls up like crazy and seizes the cable.

ford ones work fine especially if you clamp a fuel hose to the end and to a grease gun and slowly pump it full till it comes out the end.

The Ford ones are plastic coated cable

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know, but its a different plastic , way bettter than the aftermarket, the grease trick works well.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using a motorcycle style in-line cable luber works great too. I hit mine with some lube 2x a year and it still works great.

Also, I find that "nothing fits like factory" no matter who the manufacturer is. Ford parts are hands-down better than the aftermarket for stock replacement parts in my experience.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Also, I find that "nothing fits like factory" no matter who the manufacturer is. Ford parts are hands-down better than the aftermarket for stock replacement parts in my experience.

And they're the correct length too.
It seems the aftermarket cables are a wee bit longer and require some modifying to make them work correctly.:mad: