Core Support Help Needed

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Yes, I know, it's been covered before (there should really be a sticky with the relevant info for diesel core supports, model years and differences). The truck was originally equipped with AC, but someone has removed the compressor, condenser, core and most of the lines (one was just cut and left hanging).

I just went out to measure my core support before ordering a new one from LMC truck. My core support opening measures about 24" height from the bottom of the opening to the top. LMC, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, and everyone on ebay only sells the core support with a 20 1/8" opening.

Am I stuck needing to buy a new radiator?

Does anyone know where I could get the correct core support, other than attempting to get a $700 one from Ford?

The bottom hoop on my core support has been destroyed by a previous owner on top of the entire front clip being pushed toward the passenger side from the wreck on November 3rd.

sassyrel

Reaction score
I checked this out myself,, some time ago.. there is a company,, selling the right ones,, but I dont remember who it was...since I couldn't afford it,, i took three,, and made one!!!!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only option we have is used oem.no one,including ford is stamping out the diesel core supports and haven't for many years now.:(

caution.
there have been many tricked into buying diesel core supports sold by the aftermarket with correct measurements and the whole 9 yards.....only to receive the gas support and stuck with return shipping and restocking fee's.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Also with the core supports, you are stuck with the generation of doghouse on the truck. Meaning, if you want to keep the Bricknose, you will need a Bricknose core support, if you want to swap to a Bullnose or OBS clip, you will have to swap core supports too. The are different between the 3 generations and are not swappable.

However, if you do not have air, or do not want air, the Gasser and "short, wide" diesel core support are the same, or so I've read. So you could get a gasser, and the short, wide radiator and mane that work, but the generation rules still apply.

Al (riotwarrior) has done a comparison thread.......

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...nd-support-differences&highlight=core+support

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I knew about the generational differences. I really wanted, and so do at some point in the future, to put a bullnose clip on the front of the Enterprise. But I'll rebuild the bricknose for now and have one for Bruiser's future IDI swap (it'll stay bricknose).

So I guess I'm looking at $270 plus shipping for a 4 row champion radiator. It's a shame since whatever caused the damage to the current core support took out the radiator and the one in when I bought it was pretty new. My only real complaint is shelling out the $$$. I can't really complain about upgrades. Just hope I don't get one of these lemons from Champion that I've heard about.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can find the short wide radiators. I saw one company when I was researching mine.

Core support.....nope. Not for a tall diesel. They are not made. Salvage is the only way.

I know where a good OBS one is, but it isn't in my possession right now, and doesn't help you with your brick nose.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
And Waystro has one for a bullnose truck.

I'll have to get my buddy that'll be assisting with the body work see if we can hammer/weld the hoop on mine back into place. I'll post pics tomorrow, but it looks like they ran over something that pierced through it (reason why the radiator is pretty new), then baked up and it tore the rear of the hoop down and pulled it forward. You can see it underneath the bumper when looking at it head on.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Here's what I've been driving around with since I bought the truck. Doesn't look very promising for repairing it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
And here's the one I found on ebay last night. You can see in the pics that there has been a repair made where the inner fender secures to the core support on the left side. $175+$150 shipping. Is it worth it?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
she's all solid where it counts!

yes.that's worth every penny of his asking,if it's for the diesel.still very decent enough for that $.be quick!

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Tough call. For me $175 would be worthwhile since you don't have a good lower to put on a repop short core. The shipping sucks, but it is what it is. It's not unreasonable, so depends on whether you'd rather buy something that needs only minor work to drop in or try to repair what you have.