Coolant Filter - Bypass or In-line

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to ordering the filter head, some filters, and associated parts for my coolant filter. To my knowledge there has never been a filter on it, it's got about 190k, and SCAs are well-maintained. I do have a couple of questions on it...

I've seen both the bypass and in-line setups. Is there a preferred one or does it come down to personal preference?
I would prefer to run it in-line just to make sure that all the coolant that is going through the system gets filtered, and not just some of it.
No T's, no ball valves, etc. and mount it high enough under the hood for minimum coolant loss during filter changes.
I've also seen people tap into either the heater core supply or return line with an in-line setup. Is there a benefit of using one line vs the other?

For clarification, I've seen pictures and diagrams which contradict each other relative to which hose is the core supply and core return line. Standing at the front of the truck and looking towards the firewall at the two hoses connected to the core, which is the supply and which is return?

My thoughts were to use the heater core supply line with an in-line setup. Drive for about 500 miles and check/replace the filter. Drive for another 1000 miles and check/replace the filter. Then check/replace every oil change. All while maintaining proper SCA levels. Am I over-thinking this or is there something else I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
In line.
If it's dirty you'll lose heat.
But put it in the feed line to the heater core.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pressure will be higher on feed than on return because of flow resistance through the heater core. As to how much? I dont know.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Pressure will be higher on feed than on return because of flow resistance through the heater core. As to how much? I dont know.

But if you put it after (in return line) you have a chance of ending the heater cores life sooner. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a concensus on which is more preferable? I would prefer it on the supply line because lack of heat would be a good indication of filter blockage.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a concensus on which is more preferable? I would prefer it on the supply line because lack of heat would be a good indication of filter blockage.

I can agree with that.

Also if its on the return and your heater core is old it might finally bite the dust if the filter plugs. Maybe. Idk.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
The wix coolant filters have a restrictor orifice in them to slow flow way down.

Your going to get significantly less heat running one inline. The filters were meant to be set up as a bypass filter.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wix coolant filters have a restrictor orifice in them to slow flow way down.

Your going to get significantly less heat running one inline. The filters were meant to be set up as a bypass filter.

Maybe so, but my heater is still very hot. Thermometer in the vent is still showing well over 100 degrees.

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a second set of ports available that my vans rear heater use(d). One at the top of the water pump, one at the back of the intake (dr side). This would be a good opportunity for a clean mount.

All set-ups are bypass.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The filters were meant to be set up as a bypass filter.

Setup in bypass, approximately how much coolant actually flows through the filter during one trip around the system? 50% of it?

As I overthink this further and look at the bypass pictures that most people have posted, I could see how the return line (to the water pump) can suck the coolant into the inlet side of the filter by a venturi effect.

I'm just trying to get my head around why one setup would be more preferable to another.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
In any bypass setup, oil or coolant, (IE the Amsoil filter system is a bypass setup) the fluid is flowing at a much slower rate and the fluid is cleaned much better as it passes through the filter, since it is more flowing than being pushed through the filter. Also, the filter medium is a much smaller micron rating, restricting the speed the filter can flow anyway. If a bypass plugs, you use no cooling effect in the system, in your case you would only loose heat in the cab, but it does plug the coolant flow, and just like oil, dirty oil or water is better than no oil or water.......

Any filter used to really clean something in a full flow system, needs to be a bypass........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online