Converting a dually to 4x4

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am kinda curious since I have noticed alot of supercab and dually pickups in the OBS and bricknose style built as 4x4's. I am pondering doing this with my ol '89. I know it looks like quite the job but what all is involved besides the obvious? Can I use the same tranny? Would a front diff from a '99+ superduty work?

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might it be a whole lot easier to find a nice shape SRW crewcab 4x4 m do the rear end swap and then put the different hubs on the front? Im thinkin so...

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
step one: sell the 2wd dually.
step two: put the money towards an f250/350 4wd diesel truck and convert that to a DRW for much less,and in just a weekend and done.or put the money towards an f350 4wd cab n chassis.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YES this can be done,

YES you can do this with the STOCK transmission

No the SD front end won't work well...it could work..but you will have two different bolt patters for wheels.

Get a Solid front end from a dually 4x complete with track bar + MOUNT, steering linkage and springs and spring hangers.

You can add the front diff on a weekend. This will give you a 2wd solid axle mounted truck.

You'll have to search but you can add a DIVORCED NP205 transfer case that uses a short jackshaft from your trans to the tcase, then you will need a shorter rear drive shaft and a new front one. Thus 3 drive shafts in total.

Or buy a conplete 4x trans and running gear.....

There is a few options to work with. Your choice...budgets are where you start...and go from there...a good solid axle for your truck 1200...maybe with all the stuff I said.

Divorced case....250 maybe...plus all the drive shaft work...

factor in fabbing cross members and mounts for the tcase, time installing springs in front cutting old spring buckets off...lots depends on your capabilities.

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Or I can call the guy on a deal I just found...haha. '90 F350 CC DRW 4x4, 115K miles on it, in good shape by the pics, XLT, ZF5...all for the askin price of $3000!!!!!

Attachments

• 1990 F350 4x4.JPG
    1990 F350 4x4.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 1990 F350 DRW 4x4.JPG
    1990 F350 DRW 4x4.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 18

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
There's basically two options you have. Either one is ABOUT the same as the other expense- and parts-wise. You can get a SRW 4x4 and put a new rear end under it, get a new bed, and get adapters for the front axle. Those adapters are the hardest thing to find. Then you'll have to get a full set of dually wheels and tires. That part is the most expensive part of the swap. Probably $1000- $1200 for good wheels and new tires.

The other option is take a DRW and buy a front axle, front axle dually adapters, and 4x4 transmission for it. There's a little more fabrication in doing it this way (front axle leaf springs, steering box, etc), but it's the option I would go with (and the one I'm trying to do when I get the time and money).

You CAN use Super Duty axles, but you'll have to get BOTH axles (front and rear) to make it worth your while. The Super Duty's are far easier to find dually adapters for the front axle. The biggest part of that though, is again buying wheels and tires. They use a metric bolt pattern that is NOT compatible with the OBS and older bolt pattern of 8x6.5 (SAE pattern). And the F250 axles are Dana 50's, not Dana 60's.

The only dually's that ever came from the factory as 4x4's after the early 80's were cab-and-chassis trucks.

Your last option (the truck that already has everything done and for a great price), which looks like an incredibly good deal, is the best in any situation. Let me just say that if you get that truck, I'll be very jealous.

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for all the info, but I am keepin my fingers crossed that he still has it. I shoulda called em right away, cause if ya wanna sell somethin bad enough ya will answer the phone at 10 at night right? I think if after the usual questions if he still has it I will see if he will take $2500 for it, even though I am more then prepared to shell out 3 grand for this...

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Personally, I'd say that even if it were still a stock 2wd truck, that'd be a good price. As a 4wd truck, it's a screamin' deal.

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, Im thinkin so. Here is what Im drivin now that I bought this summer for $1200. No rust on it cept for 1 small bubble on the right rear door. Lotsa miles but runs pretty good n uses no oil. It also came with a 12' truck camper too as a package deal...couldnt say no!!

Attachments

• 2012-06-25 20.15.50.jpg
    2012-06-25 20.15.50.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 2012-10-06 11.34.24.jpg
    2012-10-06 11.34.24.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster