convert from wide radiator to narrow (adding AC)

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like the title says, what all do I need to convert to a narrow rad?
otherwise i could try to modify a condenser to reach around the wide rad maybe?

after the engine rebuild i plan on using electric fans. been thinking about a rodney red or cheaper Al rad, n maybe some evans coolant but im using ELC right now

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I think all you'd need is a new radiator support, or weld some tabs onto yours.

+1 on the Aluminum rad. Best thing I've done for my truck.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think all you'd need is a new radiator support, or weld some tabs onto yours.

+1 on the Aluminum rad. Best thing I've done for my truck.
sweet, wasnt sure if anything else was needed. cant wait to add in ac. dont really need it here but its nice in the desert!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey...I can cut the lower section off a bent rad support...I will take pics if you want...and ship it to ya..u pay shipping!..Or you can drive up to BC...we can meet and you can take it back with ya???

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the wide rad was a rare bird, found only on early IDI's w/o A/C............... like Mel's Moose truck. The rest (A/C or not) were all the same rad. Both my '86 trucks (F250 non A/C from factory, F350 factory A/C) both have the same radiator.

Got any photos of what you have under the hood?

Heath

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the wide rad was a rare bird, found only on early IDI's w/o A/C............... like Mel's Moose truck. The rest (A/C or not) were all the same rad. Both my '86 trucks (F250 non A/C from factory, F350 factory A/C) both have the same radiator.

Got any photos of what you have under the hood?

Heath
Only photos ive got on hand are in my album, im at work but can snap a few tomorrow. I dont see this being the skinny one since the condenser is more narrow..
Hey...I can cut the lower section off a bent rad support...I will take pics if you want...and ship it to ya..u pay shipping!..Or you can drive up to BC...we can meet and you can take it back with ya???

Thats mighty generous, i may take you up on that!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont see this being the skinny one since the condenser is more narrow..

Well, the narrow rad isn't very narrow to be honest. In the photo below, you can see the A/C condensor mounted infront of the "narrow" rad. It certainly isn't as wide as the rad, but the tube extent out past the rad at the top.
You must be registered for see images

Don't know if that helps or not.

Heath

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the narrow rad isn't very narrow to be honest. In the photo below, you can see the A/C consor mounted infront of the "narrow" rad. It certainly isn't as wide as the rad, but the tube extent out past the rad at the top.

Don't know if that helps or not.

Heath

Helps a lot! Thanks, i will check again at home but i remember there being little to no space on the sides, my group 31 battery and the upper radiator mount have a half inch or less space. I also took the grill off and held the condenser up to it and IIRC the input and discharge lines werent able to reach around, and there was no space for em.

I saw your thread with rebuild photos of this area, those will be helpful too

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only photos ive got on hand are in my album, im at work but can snap a few tomorrow. I dont see this being the skinny one since the condenser is more narrow..

Thats mighty generous, i may take you up on that!
I don't mind at all...and I just noticed that my Narrow rad in my brick nose has ADAPTERS that bolt on where a wide rad bolts on too if I see correctly...got those adapters too!!!!!

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
When we are talking WIDE radiator are we talking about the one the 83's came with? My first diesel pickup was an 83 F250, it had a short height but wider radiator than all of the other F series I've seen, but it darn sure had AC!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When we are talking WIDE radiator are we talking about the one the 83's came with? My first diesel pickup was an 83 F250, it had a short height but wider radiator than all of the other F series I've seen, but it darn sure had AC!

Yup, that's the one.

The only one I've seen is on Mel's '83 F250.

Heath

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive heard ford dealers had aftermarket ac to add on to wide rad trucks.

Measured mine at roughly 38" wide,22 tall

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure my truck came with the wide rad, it leaves very little space on the sides for the AC hoses.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have both a 90 and 91, the 90 has AC and narrow rad, the 91 non AC wide rad....can provide a pic if needed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylerperson

Members online