COLD STARTING? TALKEETNA,ALASKA

12 valve owner

12valveowner
Reaction score
Thanks for all of past and future replies. My questions are a recent trip over the weekend to my cabin it was about 0 to -15 we snowmachined all weekend with 36" of new snow from the previous week. Anyways it was cold and when I started mt truck it turned over slow and fired a few times then after a while nothing. It left me stranded at my cabin perfect place. My truck has never not started in the cold. I am going to purchase new batterys because I know I need them. I wonder if you guys recommmend any brand? This last tank I didint run a additive so my fuel coud of been gelled,I run power service and heard its not the best for cummins,what do you guys run.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
For batteries, I really dont have a brand preference, but just buy batteries with the highest CCA (cold cranking amps). I would shoot for ones with over 1000CCA'a a piece.

I would think PS would be fine for the cummins, I havent heard that its bad for one. But its what I use, so I cant really say what else you could use.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I have never heard that PS was bad for Cummins - I have used it in the past without any problems that I seen.

Also while you're at it with the batteries I would pull the solenoid apart on the starter an put in new contacts - they take a beating and can be replaced fairly cheap (under ten bucks) - they can cause slow cranking like you experienced.

NoGin_Cummins

Typical Dodge Owner
Reaction score
I buy Motorcraft batteries from ford, they are very durable, My parents had a 1995 Aerostar minivan they bought new, the original battery lasted 7 years, that van itself was quite reliable, but ever since then I swear by Ford batteries.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
go get a set of group 31s thatll whiryl that 6 popper out the hood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online