Cold start problems

tjl

Diesel Nut
Reaction score
I've been fighting cold start issues all winter. I don't drive the truck much in the winter so I didn't worry too much about working on it. So far I checked the gpr, it was bad, replaced it. Found a burnt uvc harness plug fixed that. The burnt plug ruined the valve cover gasket, replaced that. I checked all the glow plugs with a test light and they tested ok. I check the new gpr with a multi meter and it tested ok. When I turn the key the wait to start light comes on, the gpr clicks but it acts like the glow plugs aren't working. What else can I do. I'm getting very frustrated. Sorry this is so long but I've just about had it.

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
I've been fighting cold start issues all winter. I don't drive the truck much in the winter so I didn't worry too much about working on it. So far I checked the gpr, it was bad, replaced it. Found a burnt uvc harness plug fixed that. The burnt plug ruined the valve cover gasket, replaced that. I checked all the glow plugs with a test light and they tested ok. I check the new gpr with a multi meter and it tested ok. When I turn the key the wait to start light comes on, the gpr clicks but it acts like the glow plugs aren't working. What else can I do. I'm getting very frustrated. Sorry this is so long but I've just about had it.

the glow plugs probably aren't working.

Ohm test them, or pull them and glow test them.

and use Motorcraft/Beru glow plugs, or you'll be doing them again next year.

tjl

Diesel Nut
Reaction score
I hate to sound stupid but how do you ohm test them. Do I need to remove them or just take the valve cover off. I'm not real savy at trouble shooting electrical problems. I just bought a multi meter last night and I'm still not real sure how to use it.

tjl

Diesel Nut
Reaction score
It was a little warmer today (43*) so the truck started after 4 tries. One thing I noticed was after it started the battery gauge went back to it's normal place. It usually stays lower while the glow plugs are working then returns to normal when they shut off. Would this be the gpr? I just replaced it.

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
sure the one you changed was the GPR not the Intake Air Heater relay? I'll shoot you a PM later.. at the moment, I need to skate for work

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sure the one you changed was the GPR not the Intake Air Heater relay? I'll shoot you a PM later.. at the moment, I need to skate for work

94-97's dont have the AIH.

GPR is located RH bank just in front of fuel filter cannister.

You must be registered for see images attach

To ohm test your GP's you can unhook the valve cover harness and put your multi-meter on the outer pins on the VC cover connector. Acceptable readings will be between 1 and 2 ohms, anything higher than 2 ohms is suspect as a bad plug and obviously 0 ohms is an open non-functioning plug.

tjl

Diesel Nut
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. I fixed the problem. Over the winter I replaced the batteries, battery cables, starter, gpr, uvc plug, uvc gasket, and starter solonoid on fender. I checked the glow plugs and they all tested around 1 ohm. But it still wouldn't start. While replacing the battery cable I broke the solonoid on the fender (it was corroded pretty bad) when I replaced it I put the gpr wire on the wrong post, so there was no power at all going to the gpr. Talk about a ******* attack. Switched the wire back and the truck starts right up. Thansk for all your help and suggestions.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Yep that would do it
You must be registered for see images attach

Good to hear you got it fixed. ;Sweet

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. I fixed the problem. Over the winter I replaced the batteries, battery cables, starter, gpr, uvc plug, uvc gasket, and starter solonoid on fender. I checked the glow plugs and they all tested around 1 ohm. But it still wouldn't start. While replacing the battery cable I broke the solonoid on the fender (it was corroded pretty bad) when I replaced it I put the gpr wire on the wrong post, so there was no power at all going to the gpr. Talk about a ******* attack. Switched the wire back and the truck starts right up. Thansk for all your help and suggestions.

see how ya are?
now I don't have anything to do this morning but sit here and drink coffee...
;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online