cold start&EBPV problems

rthomas

Reaction score
the colder it gets (40 f) the harder the starting, i let the gp's cycle at least once and it usualy fires after 3-4 sec. of cranking but it dies as soon as the key is released, the colder it is the more times i repeat this. today the ebpv stayed closed when i tried to drive and opened only when i shut it off and restarted it:puke: can i s-can the valve?

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
You need to check the glow plug relay on your truck. When mine chumped out it would start like that.
As fo the EBPV, take the backpressure sensor off ans clean it's tube out. If the ECM does not see backpressure it will not open the EBPV. That is the best plave to start.
Ken

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
The link isn't working anymore on SDD. PM Tonkadoctor & ask him for it. That's where I got it, but I didn't save it. He should be able to set you up with it. While you're that far down there, it's only four more bolts to do the pedistal mod too.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the colder it gets (40 f) the harder the starting, i let the gp's cycle at least once and it usualy fires after 3-4 sec. of cranking but it dies as soon as the key is released, the colder it is the more times i repeat this. today the ebpv stayed closed when i tried to drive and opened only when i shut it off and restarted it:puke: can i s-can the valve?

First start by trying to clean the EBP sensor tube that is located under the passenger side manifold. The tube can and will get clogged with soot. Once clean see if that fixes your problem. If not, you can replace the EBP sensor. If that fails to remedy the problem try unplugging the EBPV solenoid which is located left (drives) side of the turbo under the air intake tube. If that fails you then go to the EBPV actuator and unhook it and wire the butterfly open. This is your final test to determine if you need to **** can the whole Marie.

If that is what you actually determine to be your ultimate fix, I can post up some images of my butterfly removal from my 95.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The link isn't working anymore on SDD. PM Tonkadoctor & ask him for it. That's where I got it, but I didn't save it. He should be able to set you up with it. While you're that far down there, it's only four more bolts to do the pedistal mod too.

Can't find it.

Pretty simple.

Parts needed:
  1. Turbo & Pedestal O-rings
  2. one 20mm or 3/4" freeze plug (Carquest will have them)
  3. one 1/4" pipe plug
Special tools needed:
  1. 1/4" NPT pipe tap (Lowes will have this)
  2. Dremmel with cut off disk (to cut 2 rivits inside housing)
Steps:
  1. Remove Down pipe
  2. remove turbo
  3. remove pedestal
  4. remove ebpv valve housing from turbo should be 7 12 point bolts - 2 are a PITA and have to be done with a 5/16" wrench
  5. cut off the rivit heads on the ebpv valve
  6. drive the remainder of the rivits out and take out the butterfly and the shaft
  7. drive in the new freeze plug into the hole where the shaft was. leave the old freeze plug on the other side alone
  8. bolt the housing back on the turbo and set to the side
  9. take snap ring off of the actuator valve housing in the pedestal
  10. drive out the valve
  11. cut the shaft off of the valve..... only need to remove enough so that it's inside the housing when you install the pipe plug in it.
  12. tap the pedestal for the 1/4" pipe plug where the shaft used to come through.
  13. reinstall the valve and snap ring. failure to do so will result in the turbo not getting enough oil and you will be replacing it soon if you don't do this.
  14. put the pedestal back on the engine
  15. put the turbo back on the engine
  16. put the down pipe back on
  17. plug in the wiring as normal, puter still thinks everything is normal and won't throw a code
  18. enjoy:thumbsup:

rthomas

Reaction score
thanks guys, i'll check out the sensor tube first- i dont think its worked right since ive had the truck, until now the valve would close for 1-2 sec just after startup.

rthomas

Reaction score
all right- i cleaned up the tube and sensor and that seems to be ok. i think ive nailed down the ****** starting to the gp's, this morning i jumped the relay and got the same results. im a little confused by the other thread as to witch gps i need? my local idiot zone has the zd9's for $2.99 and zd11's for $11.99 price aside witch is better?