Cold air intake-- done finally.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So before the road trip I got this installed, results
100* less EGT cruising all speeds
About 200 less full load on hills. Now to insulate the cold side IC tube.

Cut off the lower end of the elbow to miss the AC lines, the clamp just hits the CDR bracket, little more noise with the windows down , but worth it for cool air.
Ford F600 scoop

Attachments

• DSC04328.JPG
    DSC04328.JPG
    568.3 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC04329.JPG
    DSC04329.JPG
    600.2 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC04330.JPG
    DSC04330.JPG
    601.3 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC04331.JPG
    DSC04331.JPG
    600.8 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC04332.JPG
    DSC04332.JPG
    575.3 KB · Views: 141

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is cool, ive been looking for one of those for a while now, no luck yet. besides the ones in our shop on the trucks. Lol my dad says if i can find a good hood with one he will buy and i can have the scoop. the little diesel (F-8000 CAT 1160) hood is pretty banged up on the front. And its his "baby"

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just drove thru Nampa this weekend from SD, there are farm trucks sitting all over east of you with hoods.

Geez an 1160 that still runs, most were replaced with 3208.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Typ4,

Nice install, but gotta question, can't quite see from the photo's, but how did you mount the air tube?? Can we get a top view looksee picture?

Is there a filter in the can? Or straight air...I couldn't get away with a straight air, too much dust.

I love that hood scoop.

THX

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
Hey Typ4,

Nice install, but gotta question, can't quite see from the photo's, but how did you mount the air tube?? Can we get a top view looksee picture?

Is there a filter in the can? Or straight air...I couldn't get away with a straight air, too much dust.

I love that hood scoop.

THX

If you look at the last photo you can see the orange stripe of his air filter.

I really like this setup and will most likely be doing this to my rig, thanks for the photos Type4. :thumbsup:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a 74 f series, gas or diesel use the same scoop.
The elbow is a 4 inch rubber over the air inlet of the base. it is stiff enough to hold up the riser tube, and I only measured once, from the cowl to center, then the fender to center, closed the hood, marked and cut the hole. Oh and a 4 inch female ABS coupling OD is just right for clearance.
I am going to "flare" the lip up to make sure water stays out.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clue!! LOLOL!!!

Actually, I tried to edit my post, but it didn't take I guess. I figured out I could up size the photo and got a much better view.... age does something to eyes. :dunno

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just drove thru Nampa this weekend from SD, there are farm trucks sitting all over east of you with hoods.

Geez an 1160 that still runs, most were replaced with 3208.

There are tons around here, but people either want to keep em, or not get rid of em... That 1160 runs like a champ... albeit a slow one, thus, the Little Diesel. Always wanted to put one in a pickup, but grew up and realized i need something a little more realistic, and lighter.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
So these were on the large F-Series that had an actual hood and fenders, like a pickup, rather than a 1 piece "fiberglass" tilt forward doghouse, like on a Class 8 Conventional tractor?

I remember seeing those around...... but don't remember the hood scoop..... could be I was much younger and shorter, and couldn't see the top of the hood...... There was a 70's era "tree service truck" that was just for sale... I bet it had the scoop also.....

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some trucks had them but not all. Large f500 or bigger. Those seem to bring huge money on ebay and may be the same that the used on super duty Pontiac's back in the day on muscle cars. I have seen them bring nearly $200!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greg you are correct an all counts, the non HD gassers didnt have them, usually. The truck it came from was an f600 with a HD 330. The other one we scrapped had a LD 330 in it and no scoop

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US