Cold advance question

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As noted in another thread, I'm the proud owner of a Baby Moose! Now, I know that my high idle solenoid does not work and that isn't a big deal to me. Out of curiosity, I checked today and discovered that my cold advance solenoid is not receiving power when I go to start the engine. My question is... how big of a difference does this make for ease of starting?

I haven't jumpered it yet to see how my it works but will do that the next time I fire it up. If it really makes a big difference I think the smart thing to do would be to put it on a manual toggle switch.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Black dawg

Reaction score
Does make a slight difference in cold starting, but mostly makes for no white smoke while cold.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just simply holding your foot on the threttle peddle slightly will fix that startup. A switch might work well. The power feeding both that solenoid and the cold advance in the pump is from the coolant sender located behind the thermostat housing.. Its a tuff sender to get at too.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sensor was bad. I was curious also to see if I was missing something, and hooked a switch up to try it. The faster idle is nice to help it warm up(that's funny, I said a diesel warms up) but other than that I noticed no difference. I caught myself one day leaving the switch on, forgetting to turn it off, so I just took it back out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wrecking yards around here that have these idi engines in them will be getting my wrenches layed on them for that price of a sender.. Those are GMM hand model pocket parts right there.. I paid my $2.00 entry fee.. I'm golden...:angel::sly

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i out mine on a toggle switch for free. had lying around. does help. now i can turn it on when it is really cold out. let it warm up, grab some coffee, and shut it off when i pull out.