Clutches

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I picked up a parts truck with a zf-5 for 500 bucks. It's an 87 6.9 f250. But I'm wondering what clutch to get for it? I'm going to do a smf conversion and can't decide on the south bend kit for 582 dollars or a valair clutch and flywheel. The valair is a few dollars cheaper and the stock replacement is rated for 350hp and 800 ft lb's. The south bend doesn't say the rating except on there performance clutch for over 700 which I do not

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I've read most people use, and they seam to have good luck with it, but my father had one put in his old truck years ago and it took 3 clutches to get it right. So I kinda want to stay away from that. I'm thinking I'm going to go with the valAir because I've heard a lot of bad things about southbend

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my second clutch disc of my SMF conversion and not very happy about it. I was hoping if I have to do it again, that South Bend might be the last one for awhile, what have you heard? I also think maybe I should quit dumping the clutch, it doesn't seem to like it.

south bend clutch

Reaction score
Not sure what you have heard bad about us but be careful with the internet these days. You never know who is behind the keyboard anymore.

Peter

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Happy with my 13" smf South Bend setup. Gonna transfer it over to the cummins conversion. :)

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you have heard bad about us but be careful with the internet these days. You never know who is behind the keyboard anymore.

Peter
Iwhat I have heard is from people who I know, that have ran one in the past... What I can't say Is if it is actually a problem with the clutch or if it is more of the drivers fault. I have let people drive my truck before and watch them sit on a hill riding the clutch. I don't know how they keep clutches in there trucks haha.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my second clutch disc of my SMF conversion and not very happy about it. I was hoping if I have to do it again, that South Bend might be the last one for awhile, what have you heard? I also think maybe I should quit dumping the clutch, it doesn't seem to like it.

A few people I know have ran them and said they didn't last or they broke on them and what not. I think I am going to go with valAir only because one of my friends runs one and has been very happy with it so far, and it's a few dollars cheaper than the south bend

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a luk smf kit on sale, and it was defective. If you get one, have it checked on a clutch table. FYI, I have bought many clutches for my Z cars from southbend, and all have been great.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luk from vatozone. Clutch and smf flywheel for 300 dollars

That seems really cheap for an LUK kit Oog. That's the price for just the clutch kit, or that's for the clutch kit and the SMF?