Clutch time

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm afraid it might finally be time for a new clutch. It has been shuddering a little for the past 20K or so, but it's finally starting to get worse to the point where I don't fully trust it. I won't be doing the work, but have a transmission shop next town over. They quoted about $1000 to do the clutch and have done one of these before going from dual mass to single mass. Does this sound about right? Also, I have a small leak coming from somewhere on the rear of the engine that is leaking down onto the clutch area. Would this be the rear main seal and I assume this would be the ideal time to do this also??

Any thoughts on which clutch brands to use or stay away from?

Thanks all

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the $1k just labor, or everything included? Going to go from dmf to smf?

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$1k is labor and parts with conversion to SMF. OIL is what's leaking.

Thanks

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1k at a shop seems reasonable. Thy are probably getting 600 plus or minus in parts and the rest is labor? You can pick up a Smf conversion kit for 325 or so off rockauto. I dont disagree with a shop making some money but their prices always seem really high on parts to me.

I put a luk clutch kit in my 89 last time and loved it. I'm currently putting a luk clutch kit in my 93.

With the oil leak if it's the rear main noes the time to swap that out. Other leaks you can get with the transmission installed.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Is the oil leak whats causing the chattering? Oil getting onto the clutch disc. I had that happen to a truck once.

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe so, but suppose it could be. It is a small but steady leak that has been there for years. Not sure if it is leaking enough to cause that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online