Clutch Problem

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 87 F350 with a ZF-5 starting making noises yesterday every time I push the clutch in. It's a metal grinding noise. It runs fine with no noises going down the road. You push the clutch in just a little and it starts grinding. Any ideas before I dig into it?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That stinks man. I'd pull the inspection cover and have a good look at the dual-mass flywheel for signs of problems or anything weird you can see at the pressure plate. How about the fluid in the ZF? No low or have a bunch of metal flake in it?

But, not shifting weird or poping out of gear, just noise when the clutch is engauged?

Heath

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My vote would also be on the throw out bearing. Pull the inspection cover and have somebody push the pedal while you watch/listen, but the TOB would make sense for the described symptom.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My issues with throwout bearings has been a bit different. When they get dry or start to have issues, they make noise when there is NO pressure of them (the clutch is disengauge). But when pressure is applied to the clutch pedal, the noise stops.

Maybe I've just had a weird experience with TOB's.

Heath

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
My issues with throwout bearings has been a bit different. When they get dry or start to have issues, they make noise when there is NO pressure of them (the clutch is disengauge). But when pressure is applied to the clutch pedal, the noise stops.

Maybe I've just had a weird experience with TOB's.

Heath

Same here. I guess we both have had weird experiences with them. :dunno

DMF sounds likely to me.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Pull the clutch cover and start the engine while your under there watching it but be careful. Wear safety glass or a face shield. Stuff will be thrown out at you so its best to be prepared for it. Getting crap in your eyes is a really bad thing. At idle have someone push in the clutch. It does sound like the throw out bearing is telling you it wants out. Gonna be a long weekend too.

dmaxjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful looking underneath with it running. Mine was doing the same thing. I drove it for about a month like that. One day I pushed in the clutch and it sounded really bad!! I shut it off and looked underneath and the pressure plate was coming apart and sent pieces through the inspection cover and bell housing.

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone, I haven't checked it out yet. Been sick and just starting to feel better. Might take a look this afternoon. Guess I'll be driving the Dodge for a while.