Clutch pedal bracket stuff and things

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Mornin everyone! I'm acquiring an '84 F250 XCLB so I can fit my whole family in the truck for camping, errands etc. Current truck is an '87 SCLB 6.9 ZF. The '84 is an auto and I'll be swapping most of everything from mine into the '84. I'm familiar with the dash layout and know of a few differences with the pedal brackets '80-'86 vs '87-'91. I can't find a clutch pedal swing bracket anywhere and don't wanna swap my dash into the "new" truck. Anyone know if the '87 pedal bracket will align with the steering column? I know dash mods and some fab work would be necessary. I also know the firewall bolt pattern matches but my bracket is wider at the steering column end and prolly wouldn't clear the dash structure without modification. Would it be long enough to reach the mount on the steering column? I wouldn't mind swapping my column to make this work if the offset from firewall flange to the column is the same. Thanks in advance y'all!!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to www.car-part.com and punched in a 84 f250, and California, and looked for a transmission. I kept picking manual transmissions and a lot of places had them. You would think some of them may still have the truck there and have the assembly you need. You could start calling them and see what they say.

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
I went to www.car-part.com and punched in a 84 f250, and California, and looked for a transmission. I kept picking manual transmissions and a lot of places had them. You would think some of them may still have the truck there and have the assembly you need. You could start calling them and see what they say.

Thanks bud! I'll get on it.

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
They have a few but they're over 150 miles from me and average $100. I'd rather bear the excruciating torture of the Rancho Cordova PicknPull. Might need Adavan to survive the ordeal so if anyone else cares to chime in about pedal swapping that would be awesome. Or if anyone in Sacramento or the hill counties has one for sale, even better.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might do some research on www.LMC.com. they had one for mine when I needed it and might have the part you need. The one I got was of decent quality and has worked great for the last 2-3 yrs.

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
LMC was close but no banana. They carry the '87-up swing bracket but not the older style. I'll be up at the property where the truck is Sunday, so if all else fails I'll post back and let you all know if 1: it's doable and 2: what it takes to get it done.

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Well, got the truck over to my place last weekend and gutted the drivetrain. Started tearing into the interior and removed the brake pedal swing bracket for the auto trans out and disassembled for measurements. Laying on my back with the steering column dropped out of my current truck I was able toget some rough measurements. Looks like all the mounting holes measure out the same, except for the column saddle which is 1" wider. I may run down the hill to PickNPull Thursday after work to see if they have the correct swing bracket just in case my measurements were off. If I can't find one I'll be forced to do everything I can to install the '87 bracket in the '84. I got this truck on barter for my own and this swap needs to happen ASAP. Always under the gun with these projects I tell ya. Keep in mind I was laying on my back holding a flashlight in my mouth while doing this. Either way, once I have the time in the next week or so after getting my new-to-me '84 up and running, I'll remove the '87-'91 bracket if I haven already and detail what it takes to make it work. Wish me luck, fingers crossed.

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
So.....the short answer would be NO, they won't interchange without a massive headache and fab work under the dash in really awkward positions. I had a little time in between miscellaneous drivetrain swap duties to yank the swing bracket outta my '87 and test-fit that cow into the '84. The offset from firewall to steering column is just enough to **** the steering wheel. The column tunnel is 1.5" too narrow and would require grinding down the ends of the column-to-bracket saddle AND you'd still hafta reconfigure the tunnel to clear the '87 bracket. I found a swing bracket for an '85 F150 (flawless fit) Thursday at a dismantler but my curiosity got the best of me. The pedals however, those seem to be interchangeable from '83-'91, maybe even down to '80. Don't quote me on that. So now it's been tried and proven that, unless you're clinically insane, the brackets don't play well together in different dash/firewall configurations. Gotta run now, I have a hood to install all by me onesies.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uhm...think I told ya so to begin with, having been the one to write that damn pedal aticle, I've measured and KNOW the differences ...not pretty as you found out.

Most happy you managed to get the correct pedal assembly for your truck though.

Let us know how it all works out.

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Uhm...think I told ya so to begin with, having been the one to write that damn pedal aticle, I've measured and KNOW the differences ...not pretty as you found out.

Most happy you managed to get the correct pedal assembly for your truck though.

Let us know how it all works out.

Yeah, you did say so, and you were right. Not to doubt, and I meant no disrespect, but I had to see if there was a way for some of us on a VERY limited budget who have a terrible addiction to these trucks to get it done with what we have available. Again, I say THANKS in a HUGE way for taking the time to publish that thread. The swap can be done, but in all honesty it's way more of a pain than it's worth. And....

I just wrapped it up enough to get me back and forth to work. It all worked out well! Had my boss and a coworker help out with the drivetrain shuffle Saturday over Beer Brats and Colorada Koolaid, finished up the rest of the piddly crap today with a couple runs to the parts store. Definitely needs some paint and I'll be refurbishing the interior as time goes on. I'm glad to have truck to fit the family and won't mind dropping a few bucks for upgrades. I'll start another thread later with pics and whatnot on how the ol goat sits now with progress updates as they're made. Hope y'all don't mind. I love my ol Fords and I know you guys do too. Still miss my 500 horse '68 but hey....kids come first.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a huge PLUS for you, having more space for family, glad that's working out.

Nice to be able to have a good running ride, I hope it's a long runner. Nice the boss and coworker helped you out and you got it up and running.

Ya those piddly things come back and hand us a big case of *** sometimes LOL

No worries I knew it was/would be a PITA to use incorrect pedal assemblies, having well tried different routes myself.

Glad you tried and found out how ***** a job it would be, the only real way is to swap the entire dash assembly and all tin works supporting dash to make it viable. MUCH more work than anyone need embark on...

Again very happy to hear of your success...but one question *** are the pictures you promised? You do know that....If you make a thread it's a promise to provide pictures of what yer working on....just so you know ;Poke of your work :rotflmao

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Pics are comin!! My phone doesn't cooperate with the "upload" feature here. I'll get on my laptop later this week after I finish up some odds and ends, get the garage cleaned up etc. You have my word.