clutch pedal adjustment?

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there any adjusting of the clutch pedal? seems like i have to let my pedal out near 3/4 of the way before it starts to move the truck.. i know i am about due for a new clutch so figure may as well do it all while its down...

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you raised the clutch issue, I suggest you start by looking under the dash just above the fuel peddle for the clutch rod.
You will see a lock nut and a banjo bearing. Inspect the wear on the pin that goes through the banjo bearing.

If it looks like this, it's worn out, replace it. The replacement clutch lever with pin is getting damn near impossible to find, so I replaced the worn pin.
You must be registered for see images attach

On the example shown, I replaced that pin by grinding the weld off the back side and driving the worn one out, then welding in the new one. I also added a bronze bushing.

This took out all the "free play" caused by the worn clutch pin, then the clutch master cylinder adjustment would respond. In the picture above you should see where the adjustment rod from the clutch master screws in and is held by the lock nut.

When it's all done, and assembled, it looks like this.

All the pieces I used came from ACE hardware store, the truck now has 10,000 miles of trouble free clutch peddle use, and the issue was not the clutch, but the peddle. The fix I did replaced the plastic bushing that Ford used [and lasted like a fart in a whorl wind] with a nice replaceable bronze bushing which can be lubed [once a year at least, hit it with some white moly spray]. Now the free play at the peddle is nice a firm, adjustment of the clutch works like it should and release point is where it should be. Previous owner had just spent big bucks on a new clutch and sold the truck because the "clutch couldn't be fixed, must be something bad wrong"..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online