Clutch master/slave ?

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just recently replaced the clutch master with one that is made of aluminum and not plastic, got it form Clarks auto. It works great, the only issue is this master is angled, so it is hard to add fluid and the Max and Min levels don't mean much. The reason I went with this metal one is that I replaced the Master and Slave with a new line that I got from Napa as a complete kit a few years ago, and the plastic master did not last very long before leaking, now the plastic slave is leaking. I bought a new slave from Summit, but it is plastic.

Has anybody found a more reliable clutch master/slave set up?

FYI, I have 2 1994 F-350's CC 4x4's both 5-speeds ZF-5.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory plastic ones are reliable. If you are having problems, I would check your firewall, it may be flexing causing alignment problems and strain on the master, making it leak.

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not 1994's

The factory plastic ones are reliable. If you are having problems, I would check your firewall, it may be flexing causing alignment problems and strain on the master, making it leak.

The 1994 did not have a problem with firewall flexing. Yes the factory one lasted over ten years and the Napa only 2 years. It is always best to go with new factory when available, but these trucks are so old if you go to the dealer the parts will most likely be rebuilds.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
The 1994 did not have a problem with firewall flexing. Yes the factory one lasted over ten years and the Napa only 2 years. It is always best to go with new factory when available, but these trucks are so old if you go to the dealer the parts will most likely be rebuilds.

thats not entirely true. I have had about half a dozen people email me who have an OBS and have had trouble with firewall flex and cracking. typically with thiese year trucks there are bigger issues. either the bracket at the top where the pedal assembaly bolts to the firewall is cracked or broken or the wing where the master cylinder is cracks.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I just recently replaced the clutch master with one that is made of aluminum and not plastic, got it form Clarks auto. It works great, the only issue is this master is angled, so it is hard to add fluid and the Max and Min levels don't mean much. The reason I went with this metal one is that I replaced the Master and Slave with a new line that I got from Napa as a complete kit a few years ago, and the plastic master did not last very long before leaking, now the plastic slave is leaking. I bought a new slave from Summit, but it is plastic.

Has anybody found a more reliable clutch master/slave set up?

FYI, I have 2 1994 F-350's CC 4x4's both 5-speeds ZF-5.

That tells me right there you have the wrong master cylinder.:confused: