Clearing Cylinders After Injector Removal To Avoid Hydrolock

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've got my injectors out, resealed and reinstalled. I syringed the area around the glow plugs before I removed them, to avoid any unnecessary oil getting into the cylinders, and I did stuff lint free Kimberly Clark wipes in the holes as I took them out, rearward injectors first, just like everything I read.

I read that I need to turn the engine over by hand 2-3 times, I put the valve covers on and turned it 5 full revolutions with the glow plugs out and the injectors in. I made a tool to try to suck out all the other oil as I've heard some horror stories about people hydrolocking the engine after changing injectors on 7.3 PSDs due to the oil/fuel that enters through the injector cups when the injectors are out.

Again, I got lots of oil on the wipes, and I've read a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder is nothing to worry about, but I got nothing out of the glow plug holes with my homemade suction tool. I also didn't feel like the tubing I used went very far in the glow plug hole, like 4-5" at most. I got suction on what I am guessing is the top of the pistons, but literally just a couple of drops of oil.

PSD guys: I am over thinking this? I was thinking about turning the engine over by hand after I put the glowplugs back in but I'm guessing that isn't going to be that easy with compression in every cylinder.

As always: thanks for any input.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did do a search, but didn't find anything on OB. I will admit, I am not what I would call a "search function ninja" :bail

If you can point me to the member name I would forever be in your debt (or at least until 2018 :D)

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I really didn’t want a bent connecting rod for Christmas.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I have had water in my cylinders from a water nozzle leak. With the glow plugs out I spun it by hand then hit it with the starter. The speed of the starter threw more stuff out. Put the glow plugs back in and it was good to go.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I can't remember, I want to say Mel said it.
But the thought was to grease up a penny, pop the injector out and quickly drop a penny down the hole. Lol
It won't catch it all, but some.
You can actually drain down the oil and fuel rails.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As usual, I found Mel’s very descriptive post after I was started. I never think of this as a source for PSD info, which just goes to show you what assuming will get you :frustrate

In any case, since I was overthinking and being super conservative, I figured I’d keep that behavior in tact. I turned the engine over by hand again as hard as I could turn it, got more oil out of the rearmost cylinders, decided to try the starter crank method. I used some clean/dry paper bags to cover each cylinder head as obsessive compulsive behavior requires being able to see what comes out of each cylinder.

I cranked it until I had just some light mist coming out of each of the rearmost cylinder. I then put the drivers side glowplugs in, cranked carefully to make sure there was no hydro lock on the drivers side, then installed the passenger side glowplugs and cranked the engine over to be certain there was no issues on the drivers side. I feel pretty confident everything is good, so now I’m gonna put the valve covers on and button up this job.

Slowly but surely a bird builds its nest ....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, he doesn't put out much PSD info. Lol
I like filling the hpop manually. Takes forever though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe remove the injector or glow plug, get something like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SCV...or-SMC-type-Vacuum-Generator/32673234947.html

and hook it to your air compressor... and use a piece of plastic airline tubing like used in aquariums, to fish into the cylinder, to vacuum out any liquids.

The one I had used years ago in another shop worked this way, and was quite tolerant of trash in the incoming vacuum.. if it sucked it into the ejector and plugged it, that was fine, at least the debris was out of the engine, and I could put my finger over the outlet to force air to blow out the vacuum port to clear it.

It was a simple little thing, but it let me clean out a lot of things that was difficult to get to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online

No members online now.