Cleaning up the engine bay

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a big mess of diesel fuel and grime in my International. It's all in the valley up top and pretty much everywhere. I'm going to have the alternator out for a while so I figure now is a good time to clean it up.

Suggestions? unfortunately the barn it's stored at has no running water. I was going to fill up my garden sprayer with some purple power and hose it down, let it sit for 20 minutes and then wipe/spray it off.

Obviously no high pressure wands.

What else do I need to be cautious of mounted to the motor? I will bag the GP relay/controller and anything else electrical that might get oversprayed.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the valley pan has a hose that goes to the cdr and it know to leak fluid into the motor. without good water pressure it will not get clean

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
yea, a dried cdr valve "bushing" will let water leak into the engine. but also on the back side of the valley pan is a drain that goes to the top of the bellhousing. take a coat hanger and run threw that to make sure it isnt clogged. anything that runs onto the valley pan should drain threw that.

but IIRC the IH motors the cdr valve is located elsewhere. got any good pics of the motor?