Choosing a core for rebuild

Ocelotl

Reaction score
My 93 F250 is has a C-code VIN, so it came out of the factory with a IDIT block. The engine currently in the truck has been swapped to a NA engine, it's stamped U2U961627. I searched this board and it shows it to be a NA engine. Since I have only 200 psi compression in jug No. 8, I'm looking for either a good used engine or a good core for rebuild so I can keep mine running while I have the time/space to do the swap.

The idea is to put a turbo on it, and I found a complete factory setup at the wrench-a-part for $100, down to the valve covers, oil line, pedestal, and all the exhaust piping bits. Unfortunately, the wire harness was all screwed up so I didn't take that.

I've read here about the differences in rods, etc, between the two blocks. Still, I'm wondering if I should I concern myself with finding an IDIT factory turbo engine/core (maybe go back to the yard and get the one I removed the turbo setup from for a core), or should I just get a regular NA block, slap the turbo on it and call it a day. Are the differences worth worrying about? Seems rebuilding a NA is cheaper by about $500.

You must be registered for see images

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can get that turbo engine as a core, GET IT

Wrist pins are larger 33 mm instead of 28 IIRC

Better oil cooler, and larger diameter oil galleries too.

I'd strongly encourage you to use that as your core.

JM2CW

Oh and one more thing...get the flywheel too!

Oh ya one more final thing, I've got a turbo block out back as my core for the above reasons!

Just Sayin!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Actually the turbo block didn't have larger oil gallerys but it does have larger oil ports. All the plugs in the oil gallerys are 1/4 inch pipe thread instead od 1/8 inch pipe threads in the non turbo 7.3. Any turbo block serial numbers will start at 1,116,331 and go up from there. Down from that is a non turbo block. That number you posted should have a 7.3 to the left of that number nearly under the gear case rtv. Now just looking at a turbo block is not going to tell you it has the turbo rods in it. Every rod made for any 6.9, na 7.3 or turbo 7.3 fits all of the idi engines. So if this "turbo engine you may find somewhere may or may not have a turbo rod in it. At one time we could get turbo pistons with the large 33mm pins but no longer does anyone make them. So you may find probably less than 1/10 or 1 % of the 6.9 engines with turbo rods and pistons. They are raer than a ****** in a ***** house.

Ocelotl

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info and getting back to me ;Sweet

I'll snag a friend and go pull that turbo engine. It's been a couple of weeks so I hope they haven't crushed it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it's a good core, if it's a stock engine you got the good internals and so forth.

Worse case, needs bore.. = SLEEVE and rebore new pistons and you'll have a wicked good engine for many many miles...hundreds of thousands if looked after!

Ocelotl

Reaction score
i thought the factory IDI turbos were only Vin code-K...........

Well, I'll be. You're right. I just checked again and it indeed shows it as a NA engine. I don't remember what vin decoder I used when I got the truck but I've had it wrong all along. Thanks for catching that. ;Sweet

Ocelotl

Reaction score
I made it out to the junkyard today just to see if the core I want is still there. I took some pics to show y'all and see what you think.

This is the block number. The last digit appears to be covered by the valley pan, but the 7.3T part and how it begins with 115 makes me think it is indeed a factory turbo core:

Interestingly, this 93 F350 also has C engine code. :dunno

Here's how it looks under the valve covers. I removed them myself when I removed the factory turbo setup, so I know the rust is not from it being exposed to the elements. Both heads look like this. What do you think killed this truck? Should I be concerned or pass on this core?

I don't know how tell apart a turbo pump from a NA one. Here's the tag on it. The numbers on it are:
DB2 4817 26077 04
991940C91 110207LBH

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That engine was eating coolant for some time probably from three differant areas. Cavitation is one. Bad head gasket or oil cooler o-rings. Interesting block serial numbers too. I wonder if this engine was a rebuild and those numbers belongs to the rebuilder. Never seen numbers like that. If thats still a factory engine then my records tell me its not a turbo engine but it is an na engine. Trubo blocks serial numbers start at 1,116,331. This clearly does not fit in those numbers but it does have the 7.3T mark. So I'm wondering what size the oil galley ports are. If they are 1/8 inch pipe threads then its a na 7.3. If they are bigger and are the 1/4 inch pipe threads then its clearly a turbo block but... If the engine hase been apart it could have any na rods and pistons plus the inconel exhaust valves could be na exhaust valves. The na valves are fine with a turbo. I ran mine for over 200,000 miles turboed boosting and hauling heavy and never had valve issues.

Ocelotl

Reaction score
Yeah, I think the last digit may be covered up by valley pan. I just checked the size of the turbo oil line fitting that goes on the top rear of the block. I compared it with a 1/4" NPT connector for air tools and it's the same size, so it seems it's a turbo block.

So, if I have to resleeve it due to cavitation, will I need the no-longer-available turbo pistons if the rods are 33 mm? Could the pistons currently in there be reused if they're not buggered up too badly? Thanks for your patience, I don't know anything about rebuilding one of these.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the great shots of the oil line fitting. Now your sure that was in the block and not in a reducer fitting like some have been found on na engines. If so its a turbo block if that oil line was defenantly in the block. Also the fittings on the reat of the block will be the same 1/4 inch pipe threads. There are three found on the drivers side of the block. One is at the bell housing flange and two are behind the oil cooler.. Why are you thinking the turbo pistons are no longer available with the large 33mm pins. Mahle continues to make tham as does other makers. I really would not attempt to reuse the pistons now in the engine on a new bore sleeved or not.
Your not knowing anything about these engines is why many of us are here to help. When your done you will know plenty and be able to help others just like we are helping you.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The "7.3TU2U" gives it away. It's a factory turbo block. All the NA blocks said "7.3D". IIRC all International applications (versus Ford) said DM2U instead of DU2U. That goes for a 6.9 or 7.3. Don't mess with the serial number. The letters tell it all.