Checking to see if I am buying a good 12 valve?

clint6.0

Reaction score
:dunnoI am new to the diesel world but I was wanting to convert my 2002 GMC HD 2500 junk ass 6.0 into a bad ass 5.9 12 valve? I found a guy here in my home town who say's he can get me a 12 valve for 1000.00$ but I wanna know how I can be sure the engine im getting is good?

Thanks!!!

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
There is nothing really easy short of hearing it run. To get it running all it needs is 12v to the starter and you can manually force the fuel shutoff solenoid open with your fingers. you can then play with the throttle and see if things sound good.

Short of running it, the only real good way is to take it all apart and check things out.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
is it a VE injection pump

You must be registered for see images attach

or P pump injection pump?

You must be registered for see images attach

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Oh yeah... mine was with the assumption that it was a p-pumped engine... not much should change but I do not know if you can easily work the fuel solenoid(or if it has one) on the VE pump. P pumps are typically preferred but the VE is not a bad option.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
The VE gets the job done, but the P7100 was also used on the DT466....that powered some tandem heavy trucks....keep that in mind!!

I am NO cummins expert, but poking around on the internet tells me you can get a TON of power out of a P'd 12 valve with VERY little money and effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online