cheap filter ?s

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have put a cheap inline filter on the frame ahead of my truck . Its a 3/8 inlet/outlet small round gas filter. I did this to protect my electric fuel pump . The problem is that I plug it every 2 weeks. I have run some bio and thought thats what was plugging them but I haven't ran any in a month and still plug the little filters. Does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap large body filter I can run that won't plug everytime I turn around.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the micron rating on that filter? If it is plugging, it sounds like you have reason to be concerned anyway.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea like mel said, what micron rating, and you may need to drop the tank and clean it out.

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tanks are clean had the sending units out not to long ago. I called wix on that filter no 33033 it has a 20 micron rating but is not rated for diesel. The 33417 filter ujp front has a 12 micron rating. The techlline recommended for a good prefilter use a 33270 it has a 141 micron rating but is rated for diesel.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
most of those little inline filters are not rated for the flow theses motors use so any dirt at all could restrict the flow enough to notice

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the wix filter you speak of for years. Currently I'm using a CAT product for a filter/sediment water sep and then just the stock 6.9 filter (6 micron) it seems much better. I got mine for $28 plus shipping costs and it was a little hard to plumb in. I can get you a part # if you want tomorrow. You should be able to score one, lots and lots of stuff with the Lucas CAV type fuel systems had them, my friends land rover actually has two of them.. Yes, mine would plug frequently, every 2-4 weeks with clean diesel or near ASTM spec bio, and very frequently with any kind of fuel contamination at all...but what can I say, they protected the pump and they were cheap.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also run one of those can-type inline filters coming out of the tank. When I put the tank in, it was recommended in the directions. However, I'm thinking of taking it out. When I put in the electric pump, I intend to use the built-in filter screen rather than the inline can. The problem is that the holding capacity of the inline can is kinda low.

I would question why it's plugging up. Three reasons I can think of...crud in the fuel, water in the fuel and algae growing in your fuel system. Have you tried a biocide lately?

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after talking to wix their thoughts were that since it was not rated for diesel that was the problem. I have taken an air hose and blown backwards through the filter and didn't remove and debris. I will cut this last one apart and look.