Charging Glitch... I hate electrical Issues!

Black dawg

Reaction score
I always wondered why my batteries would never last very long, crank speed on start was too slow and the glow plugs never seeming to work right for a first crank. I need to do this 3G upgrade.

I have a 30k lb winch on my truck so I need a little more than 100A.

I am having trouble finding that pig tail that loops back to the hot side and stator. Does anyone have a part number or link where I can purchase that piece and the resettable breaker for a 200A alternator?

Thanks
The v belt is already just barely adequate for the standard replacement 3g. How many amps does your winch draw with a standard load? What winch? Not aware of any electric winches that big.

TexasTruck

Reaction score
I forget the name of the winch I will have to look at it this weekend. I know they use these types on cranes. If I remember correctly it's a hydraulic winch with electric pump.

I thought about changing everything out to serpentine but it seemed like a bigger hassle than trying to find v belts.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3G is a simple swap, even I didn't screw it up. Headlght relay upgrade is another almost necessary upgrade that should be done to these old trucks. I have some photos of the 3G swap. I'll dig them up and post for you.
Alright catbird7, I'm studying on the 3G deal. If I do this, then my voltage regulator is unnecessary, correct?

Edit: if anyone of you is interested in watching Knight Rider, there's an episode in season 3 called "Knight Lines" and there's a guy hiding these "bombs" in a building as part of the phone system and the "bombs" are actually Ford voltage regulators. So when I'm working on one of my vehicles and one of my kids come by I'll usually point at it and act all freaked out. Anywho.......

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
No. It's a standard 3G alternator. The regulator is on the back side. I clipped the stock regulator wiring and wired into those instead of wiring like Catbird's picture shows. Either way it still gets the job done. If you like, I can get some pictures of the new alternator that I'm going to be putting on this week.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be great. We need a "Big Bart" style tech article about this. Maybe showing the self exciting one wire verses the tap into the trucks wiring comparison.